Harry, help needed

PappaDoc

Harry, help needed

Post by PappaDoc »

Hi Harry,

I'm bringing the wine to a dinner party next week. Mid-level wine drinkers that know a good wine when they drink one but don't collect. I want to bring a CDP, which of these do you suggest I bring?

2001 Clos Des Pape
2004 Clos Des Pape
2004 Pegau (one I love right now)
2003 Beaurenard "Boisrenard" ( I loved the 04 & 05 of this wine)

I'm bringing these other wines as well, if this helps your choice.

1985 Monsanto "Il Poggio" Riserva
2000 Conerno Fantino Barolo "Sori Ginestra"

Thanks Harry,

PD
Winona Chief

Re: Harry, help needed

Post by Winona Chief »

Not Harry here but I would go with the 2004 Pegau.

Chris Bublitz
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

Pappa, indeed Chris, the 2004 Pegau is a great bottle of CdP and drinking very well now, although lesser rustic than usual for Pegau not in the last place because they had to add the whole white crop (1 ha) because of lacking volume, so there's a kind of silkiness in this wine that's atypical for Pegau - would decant 2h..
2001 Clos des Papes is closed now - 2004 could be more interesting, darned well integrated acidity and very much Burgundy style - needs at least 4h decanting
could be a choice depending of the food...
Forget 2003 Beaurenard Boisrenard, difficult to understand......

Harry
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Dear Harry and Chris,

Thank you both, I'll go with the Pegau. I tasted it along side the Pegau 05 & 06, for me the 04 is the best at this stage. I've never tasted the 03 Boisrenard, it was a gift. Harry the 04 and 05 were quite tasty, do you think the 03 is clumsy because of the vintages excessive heat?

PD
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

Pappa, the hot 2003 with high alcohol and knowing that Beaurenard uses a fair amount of new oak makes this wine atypical and unbalanced and is not comparable with the 2004 and 2005. But it can be a surprising wine going with cheese and even cheese cake.....

Harry
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Thanks again Harry. I think I'll try it with cheese and cheese cake. Heck, my chloresterol was fine when I had it checked two months ago.
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Harry, While digging out the 04 Pegau I came across a btl each of 1998 Vieux Mas Des Telegraph and a 1998 Marcoux. Do you think either of these might be better tonight than the 04 Pegau?

Thanks,
PD
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

almost opened an 01 CDP last night so will keep my paws off them for a while-thanks Harry
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

No Pappa, leave them alone....they cannot compete....

keep on going Jay.....
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Jay,

I would not hesitate to open most 2001 CdP's! They are not like wines from Bordeaux which can be arkward after 3-8 years when all the fruit seems to be covered under a hefty level of oak.

I had the 2001's from Marcoux, Pegau and Charvin in the last week and they were all great. The Pegau needs some time to open up, just as the Clos des Papes would, but once it has received its dosage of air it can be perfectly enjoyed right now.

Most CdP's can be enjoyed when they are young but also have the ability to age. However, while they age they change a lot and everyone needs to decide for themselves what they like best. Luckily I seem to enjoy them at all stages, but I do not want to miss the 2001's in the stage in which they are in right now.

regards,

Chris