2001 Ch. la Dominique, St. Emilion

AlexR

2001 Ch. la Dominique, St. Emilion

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I went out to dinner this evening at Café l'Orléans
http://www.brasserie-lorleans.fr/

This is a bistrot in the heart of town that I hadn't been to since new managers took over.

Well, I had an excellent meal and the wine list was far ranging and very reasonably priced.

So, we had:

1) 2007 Ch. Bonnet, Entre-Deux-Mers: aromatic, refreshing. Just what was expected and a fine apéritif

2) 2004 Ch. Chantegrive, Graves rouge: this is an idiotproof estate in both red and white, and it did not let us down this time either.
Fine to drink now. Fruity, uncomplicated, but with some character.

2) 2001 Ch. la Dominique: very reddish-black dark core all the way through to the rim. Looked younger than its age. Lovely, beguiling nose
of plum and raspberry and (personal tasting term coming up) soy sauce.
Fine rich, silky attack, some alcoholic hotness, but a smooth, long textured aftertaste.
An impressive wine and very good value for 58 euros in a restaurant.

A fine advertisement for La Dominique. Still perhaps 5-7 years off its peak, but strutting most of its stuff already.
Had this with grilled veal chop and ail en chemise (roast whole cloves of garlic - so simple, but so good...).

Best regards,
Alex R.
JimHow

Re: 2001 Ch. la Dominique, St. Emilion

Post by JimHow »

We always seem to hear good things about 2001 right bank. Thanks for the report Alex.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nice to see you're still eating and drinking well Alex. La Dominique has been one of our favourite right bank wines and under rated. Will have to wait for the 05's to mature as everything else gone.

Danny
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

I always look for La Dominique when I peruse auctions, but the only ones I have now are 1978 and 1989.
I would like to buy some '82s that have not been flipped five times.

stefan
Claret

Post by Claret »

I love this wine for its Burgundy style. The nose is complex and the balance delicate but deep. I scored some 04's on WC for $15 delivered, and it is way better than Parkers barrel 77-79.

The 1989 is much better than the clearly roasted 1990.
Glenn