A Few Good and not So Good

dstgolf

A Few Good and not So Good

Post by dstgolf »

Calera Ryan 2004- This certainly is a Californian Pinot that I've come to love in the last two years. Beautiful aromatics blow out of the glass with strawberries,rasperberries and spice. Beautiful depth and complexity. Never tire of the Calera wines. Open for business and lots of legs for 5-10 years aging minimum. No harsh edges here and I think as far as Californian Pinots go this is one of the best.Winery voted winery of the year by Wine and Spirits. If you have a fondness for well crafted pint I'd highly recommend trying some of their single vineyard Burgundian styled pinots. Yes Jim I think you'd like this wine!

Barbi Brunello 95- Beautiful wine now at peak to drink. Doesn't get much better than this.

Tertre Roteboeuf 1990- Wow! What a nice wine Everything that a right banker with some age should have. Plums,blackberries and some minty notes on nose with wonderful balance and great depth/length. Lovely treet mid week.

Quinterelli 2004 Cab Franc Bacco Ca del Merlo- Not my style. Not this wine or any of Quinterelli's that I've had to date. Overextracted,Porty and high alcohol. Certainly has everything with undoubted deep fruit and smmoth texture but too hot and high glycerin content. To each his own. I've tried this man's wines on numerous occasions and have not found them to my liking.

Bahans Haut Brion 1998- Now we're back to somewhere that I can relate to. This has really evolved into a beautiful wine. The previous overoaked feel has now softenned and integrated. Just starting to develop some of the tertiary notes of aging with tobacco and saddle leather starting to appear. Still has a long life ahead but I think this is starting to develop into the wine that it was hoped to be.

Danny
Danny
DavidG

Re: A Few Good and not So Good

Post by DavidG »

That Tertre Roteboeuf and Bahans Haut Brion sound wonderful, Danny.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've got a single bottle each of '95 and '98 Tertre Rotebeouf (trivia question, JScott, do you recall where we got that '98?), I wonder how long I should hold them? Probably a while yet....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

First (and only?) time I ever had a Tertre Rotebeouf was the first time I met Jackdaw and PappaDoc, and Paul north as well, in NYC, Ben and i had met Arv and Jacques earlier that day for the first time. Jackdaw brought a Tertre Roteboeuf, it was a 1986, I believe, I could be wrong on that.... Very delicious.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I want to hear the story of how the wine got that name - "Hill of the Belching Cattle."
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So I went back to the search function on BWE, and sure enough, it was the '86 Tertre Roteboeuf that Jackdaw brought to dinner that night.

In my search, though, I ran across this historic thread, from back on March 16, 2000-- the night I introduced JScott to Premier Cru.... Absolute classic....

Prev Discussion Next Discussion Send Replies to My Inbox

Recommend Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

I had this last night with a great many other wines. For all the gory details, I posted the whole slate on the WCWN TN board since that's where at least six of the dinner party hang out. This wine had a pronounced smoky nose and flavor. It was very interesting, but unlike any flavor I've had before in a Bordeaux. The wine had nice tannins but needed considerable time to open up. Once it did, it was very tasty, especially with steak. However, in my opinion the 94 Dominus in the same grouping outshown it. The Dominus was very Bordeaux-like and I would probably hae missed it in a Bord tasting if it had been added as a ringer.

Dennis

First Previous 2-16 of 1 Next Last

Recommend Message 2 of 1 in Discussion

Thanks for the note Dennis, have you or anyone else tried the '95 Terte Roetbeuf? Thanks, Jim.

Recommend Message 3 of 1 in Discussion

The '95 Tertre Roteboeuf is outstanding. Early last year I had it with a grouping of '95 Pomerols and St. Emilions like Monbousquet, La Conseillante, Gazin, Troplong Mondot, Figeac and others and I believe that 9 out of the 16 tasters had the TR ranked #1. I thought it just blew everything else away. There were no blockbuster Pomerols included, but the group of wines was still good competition. Very, very intense fruit. If you can believe it, I got a case of this as futures for $52/ea. Alas, the good old days.

Peter

Recommend Message 4 of 1 in Discussion

Is the smoky thing part of the profile? While I think the Dominus was better with the meal, this was clearly the most interesting wine of the night. I kept coming back to it. Several others got the smoky flavor as well.

Dennis

Recommend Message 5 of 1 in Discussion

It definitely had some exotic notes. Parker also mentions these, he really likes this type of wine that tends to be harvested late which can add some unusual characteristics. James Sucksling, our #1 favorite taster, apparently doesn't and gives TR good but not outstanding scores. Tanzer loves it too, I believe he called the '95 "extraordinary."

Recommend Message 6 of 1 in Discussion

Gee, that's really unusual, I never see that happen...Parker, Tanzer, Cab Fan, the writers at Decanter, they're all consistent in their notes but James Suckling has a different opinion.... I guess James was just right on this one and Peter and everyone else in the whole world is wrong.....

Recommend Message 7 of 1 in Discussion

Jim, your note beat me by an instant. My thoughts exactly...This wine is good, but can't compare to the '90 Lalande.....

Peter, do you know what this wine is going for these days?

Scott

Recommend Message 8 of 1 in Discussion

Yes, but remember, Scott, the 1985 Leoville Las Cases rates higher than the greatest Leoville Las Cass ever-- not '85, but '89...and, damn it, ignore all those other notes that give the '89 good but not great scores.

I've seen the '95 Terte Rotebouef (or how ever you spell it) going for $120-something at Garnet and at Wine Exchange. Premier Cru is listing the '95 magnum at $275. Jim.

Recommend Message 9 of 1 in Discussion

Okay, Jim, against my better judgement and that of my banker, credit bureau and trustee of my children's college fund, what is the number/web address of Premier Cru? Sounds like I need to owe them some money....

Dennis - where are you? Spray a hose on me or something! I count on you to be the shining voice of reason in this madness! I'm rationalizing! I'm rationalizing! The kids will get a scholarship! Clinton will save social security and mom can make it fine on annual cost of living adjustments! I need an intervention!

Scott

Recommend Message 10 of 1 in Discussion

Scott, and everyone else:

In celebration of the 500 point gain in the Dow today,

the telephone number for Premier Cru in California is:

1-510-655-6691.

Tell them JimHow sent you, they know me there.

Good luck, Scott!

Recommend Message 11 of 1 in Discussion

I'm probably too late to stop you now. Boy, HiTime Wines doesn't mess around. I got my 94 Latour Haut-Brion today. I had two 96 Lagrange keeping it company. I didn't want it to travel all that way by itself. Should have the Winex order any day now too. So don't mind me if I spray myself first.

Dennis

Recommend Message 12 of 1 in Discussion

Oh, he roped you into the '96 Lagrange, too, huh?

Recommend Message 13 of 1 in Discussion

Funny. My La Tour Haut Brion will be travelling with some '96 Lagrange as well. I smell more extra credit at some point...

Scott

Recommend Message 14 of 1 in Discussion

Last weekend I had a 1986 Terte-Roteboeuf, the first time I ever tried this chateau's wines. It is undoubtedly high quality swill, but it tastes unlike any bordeaux I have ever had. Very rich fruit, color fading at the edges, I get the impression that they throw in the seeds, stems and whatever else in with the high quality, low yield, merlot and cab franc (or as the st.emilion folk call cab franc, "bouchet") grapes. The end result is a st. emilion with tons more backbone than say a La Gomerie, but more rounded richness than a Beau-Sejour-Becot. Starting to fade. (90).

By the way, Anthony Barton of Leoville/Langoa Barton once told me that he drinks between 1.5 and 2 bottles of wine a day. His doctor has requested that he cut back to a bottle a day. Could you imagine???? Well, I guess when your part of the landed gentry . . . you have plenty of time on your hands, and what better way to spend it than drinking?

As for anyone interested in going to Bordeaux, you should stay at the Hostellerie de Plaisance in St. Emilion, or the Chateau Cordellian Bages in Pauillac. Both are beautiful, and both offer a range of rates. My wife and I stayed in both hotels, and they were both exceptional, with exceptional food and wine lists, but Cordellian Bages gets a slight edge in terms of comfort and taste. de Plaisance however, is in St. emilion, a town with a bit more to offer in terms of non-wine attractions than Pauillac. But if you're going especially to see the chateaux, I would stay in the Medoc at Cordellian Bages. It is literally next door to Lynch Bages, less than a mile from Latour and the Pichons, etc, etc.

Recommend Message 15 of 1 in Discussion

Let me guess where JimHow stays on his honeymoon....

Scott

Recommend Message 16 of 1 in Discussion

I had to get the Lagrange; it was a good deal. Just got the Smith Haut today from Winex; it had two 94 and two 96 Pontet Canet as traveling companions. When I got the invoice, I noticed that they had charged m twenty dollars a bottle too much for the 94s. I called them and they said they could credit my card. I said, hey, why don't you just send me another 94 and we will call it even. The woman was very nice, but she said I would have to pay additional shipping. I asked her if they would just eat the shipping since they had made the mistake. She said she couldn't do that, so I said credit my card then. I've got to believe that their bookkeeping costs more than the $5 or $6 to ship one bottle, not to mention the additional sale instead of giving me a refund, but whatever.

Dennis

Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Wow, the dow jumped 500 points! Those were the days. Talk about history.

Roberto
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Those indeed were the heady last days of the "Internet Bubble." And not long after that, the Dow began to tank - just about a year before BWE 2001 in Chicago.

Jon
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Huge Quintarelli fan here, going back to the days when mere mortals could afford even the Amarone, but the Ca de Merlo (something about a blackbird) wines are his bottom of the line offerings, and have become absurdly overpriced in North America. Echoes of the Carruades de Lafite?