TN: 2002 Siduri Rosella's Vyd Pinot Noir

DavidG

TN: 2002 Siduri Rosella's Vyd Pinot Noir

Post by DavidG »

2002 Siduri Rosella's Vyd Pinot Noir: Medium-dark red. Ripe, bright strawberry and cherry on the nose with a bit of alcoholic heat. Medium body, ripe fruit on palate, good balance but alcohol pokes through a bit. Medium finish smooths out some, very good, drink up.
JimHow

Re: TN: 2002 Siduri Rosella's Vyd Pinot Noir

Post by JimHow »

Do you drink much west coast pinit, David?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

A few - Siduri, Loring, & a few others here and there - not too expensive or exclusive. They are not at all like Burgs IMO. I've also liked Dehlinger and Kistler - but they're harder to obtain and more costly.
JScott

Post by JScott »

Agree. The Cali version of Pinot may as well be a different category to itself, with a very few exceptions. It either appeals to you or it doesn't. As a generalization, in my view, Burgundy develops much more nuance, complexity and subtlety whereas Cali Pinot is ebullient, fruity and round. They are usually best drunk younger than Burgundy, as they rarely improve but only last (in some ways not unlike the comparison between Cal Cab and Bordeaux). They're hard not to enjoy, but I can't make a steady diet of them.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Scott, I thnk you've nailed the typical characteristics of Cali Pinot vs. Burg - of course there are always exceptions. Most of my red wine drinking is Bdx, Rhones, and Cabs. Occasionally a Pinot is nice, but I've never really been infected by the Burg Bug, even though some of the best wines I've ever had were at Bouchard in '05. They were complex and nuanced without being weak or diluted in any way. I just don't have the confidence/experience to find similar wines over here. And lord knows I don't need another avenue for spending money on wine...