The 2005 Jadot Chouacheux has been uncorked....

JimHow

The 2005 Jadot Chouacheux has been uncorked....

Post by JimHow »

Initial impressions are very positive. Significant depth. Great, deep ruby color.

I definitely seem to be experiencing a rounding out of the rough edges from the heretofore structured 2005 red Burgundies.
Attachments
jadot.jpg
jadot.jpg (145.26 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Chasse-Spleen

Re: The 2005 Jadot Chouacheux has been uncorked....

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I guess if this wine needed a nickname, one could call it a "Choo-choo." It's a Beaune appellation wine?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

How DO you pronounce this? Choo-choo might be as close as I could get...

At some point I thought I understood Burg labels, but apparently not as well as I thought. If this is a Jadot wine from Beaune, what is the role of "Domaine Gagey?"
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hell if I know....

Pappa Doc was high on this wine, maybe he knows.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

As long as it tastes good, and you can come close enough to be understood when you order it...
Claret

Post by Claret »

:?:
Last edited by Claret on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
jal

Post by jal »

The Gagey family owns vineyards in Beaune, Chambolle Musigny and other places, they have an arrangement with Maison Louis Jadot to make wines out of the grapes in those vineyards. The Gagey family has been managing the Jadot vineyards along with the Jadot family for decades. The story is long and convoluted, John Gilman wrote the history of the Louis Jadot Domaine and has written an in depth story about this for those interested.
Best

Jacques
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Jadot does a top notch job with Beaune wines and the 05s are massive. Beaune wines should be "fleshy" and thiers are stuffed. They were some of the best buys in 05 red Burgs with prices from $30-$45. Please hold on to your 05s for at least 3 to five more years.

The 05 Vintage is not a true example of red Burgundy, although seductive they don't have the elegance and typisity of Red Burgundy. 06 red Burgs are more "true to type" as it's much easier to taste the difference between Vineyards in the same commune from the same producer. Never the less I was Seduced by the 05s and have about two cases of single btls.
The 06s were much better priced as well. The 06s are approachable now where as the 05s have gone into hybernation.

LET THEM SLEEP....Please

Pappadoc
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So serious, Pappa Doc! I've thoroughly enjoyed my 2005s, I have a very large collection. Sounds like I need to get more 2006s in my cellar, I rarely hear anything but good things about that Burgundy vintage. I wonder what Burghound says generally about the wines of Jadot in 2008? New Hampshire has an enormous selection of red and white Jadots from the 2008 vintage in stock at excellent prices.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

2/3 of my red Burg collection are '05s, and I owe them both (both bottles, that is) to Jim. One was a very generous gift of a bottle of Angerville Volnay premier cru, and the other is a bottle of Potel Vonay VV I bought based on his enablement. I am holding them. But I am thinking about opening the other third of my red Burg collection this weekend: an '00 Dujac Clos de la Roche.
jal

Post by jal »

DavidG wrote:But I am thinking about opening the other third of my red Burg collection this weekend: an '00 Dujac Clos de la Roche.
Some Burgs never sing.

That Dujac has never done it for me. The 98 was delicious, the 2000 and 2001 were tasteless. 1998 Mugnier Bonnes Mares is another highly rated wine that has done absolutely nothing for me.

Curious to hear your impressions about the Dujac, David.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

My first try with the '00 Dujac CdlR, right after release, made a New Worldish impression - young and forward and fruity. Next try in '04 was better but didn't sing like an older one I'd had (don't recall the year) which prompted me to buy these. I figured 10 years and it should be ready. Then again, maybe it will never be a great wine. It's on the list for this weekend.