2005 Cantemerle

marcs

2005 Cantemerle

Post by marcs »

Day 1, a screaming banshee of tannin and oak. There was a layer of fruit on top that made it palatable and food was helpful. I'm not really averse to tannin, though. Recorked bottle and left it out on the counter (not the fridge) for 24 hours. Day 2, greatly relaxed, tannins melted away, still a bit hot/alcoholic, but a nice rounded mix of red and black fruit with a dusting of cocoa powder. Approximated the relaxed, rounded style I'm used to from Cantemerle, oak was not at all obtrusive. Very easy drinking and played well with cheese.

Obviously this is going to improve significantly with age, but at the current price ($35-40 a bottle) the question is how well. At that price I could get two bottles of Cantemerle in an average year. The problem I have with big but seriously tannic years is you have to predict the aging curve. This wine on the second day was quite nice but overall not necessarily better than I could get from an early pop and pour on an average year of Cantemerle. I guess I just need more experience with aging Bordeaux.
marcs

Re: 2005 Cantemerle

Post by marcs »

actually, I do have to say...this really did have a deep and impressive sweetness on the second day, while still being recognizably cabernet. It matched perfectly with a mild Irish cheddar and elevated it, which is a decent test of red wine flexibility. Hmmm.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I would definitely not pay $35-40 for this wine. It's good, but not that good. At the $27 range we've been able to get it in NH, I think it is a good deal.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Yes, that's my instinct too. Good but overpriced. Of course, that concept is in flux for decent Bordeaux these days.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

True, that's one of the tasks, to find quality Bordeaux at that marginal price point.

It's a metaphysical issue, but most of my "best" Bordeaux (MY definition of best) falls within that 88-92 point range....
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

No complaining you guys. In Canada Cantemerle is $54; and that's the '06!!
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Well, that's the price in Newfoundland. I see Ontario has the '07 for $40! I haven't seen the '07 around here yet. And there's no '05 left, so I'm not sure what it went for. Ontario's pricing on bordeaux is typically about 15% better than it is here! The reason cited by the Newfoundland liquor corporation is that Nfld is a much smaller market than Ontario, which is certainly true. The entire population of this province wouldn't constitute a small town in Ontario.
BordeauxKassett

Post by BordeauxKassett »

Bacchus: Wow, that's even more expensive than here in Norway. I thought that would be impossible, considering our steep alcohol taxes and import toll charges. Is the taxes and fees on alcohol really that steep in Canada, or do they just exaggerate the price due to it geographically being a bit remote/far off the beaten track?
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

marcs wrote: Obviously this is going to improve significantly with age, but at the current price ($35-40 a bottle) the question is how well. At that price I could get two bottles of Cantemerle in an average year.
OMG! 2005 Cantemerle is going for that price! Heck, I bought them regularly at the local county shop for like $13, $10 on sale, which was often just a year or two ago. Loved them.

Cantemerle?!

Heck, the 2006's on the shelves now for like $14. Nice, but not as good as the 2005.
mike reff

Post by mike reff »

just uncorked a bottle, and the same sentiments are appratne as outlined above. The tannins are pronounced but not in a bad way. Shows a full bodied wine. Will see how it is in a couple of hours.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

I think that 03 Cantermerle is drinking really nicely now. In fact being juicy but not overblown and easily appealing, and easily understood, I had it as my red at our Tokyo wedding. The guests were impressed but then I'm the only one who could say anything other than very nice in commenting on it!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

One of the most balanced 2005 I had until now, was the Cantemerle. Never powerful but always well made that Cantemerle.

I agree with JonoB, the 2003 is really nice, and doesn't seem from a roasted vintage, as it is so balanced. A wine with a high level of drinkability. Always a good sign.

Nic