TN: '07 O. Leflaive and La Fleur Petrus

DavidG

TN: '07 O. Leflaive and La Fleur Petrus

Post by DavidG »

After a few days of being royally sake'd, sushi'd, Kobe'd and Geisha'd by our host during the Asia Cornea Society meeting in Kyoto, he put on a Western style dinner to cap the event.

We started with NV Roederer Brut Premier Champagne. This was very good to excellent, medium bodied, nicely balanced, but with more fruit character than I find ideal.

We had the option of continuing with the Champagne or switching to white Burg (or continuing to drink both) as a lobster tail and claw appetizer was served. 2007 Olivier Leflaive Mersault was light yellow, with not much showing on the nose or palate at first, but I think this was because the wine was served too cold. As it warmed, some nice peach aromas emerged and the wine opened on the palate. It remained delicate and light bodied but showed nice fruit character, good minerality, and a decent finish. Also very good to excellent. No signs of oxidation.

With the next two courses, duck and then grilled tenderloin with a slab of seared foie gras on top, we had 2007 La Fleur Petrus. This was dark red to the rim, with a nice forward nose of dark berries and cassis with a bit of moist earth after a fall rain lingering in the background. Medium body with smooth palate feel, ripe fruit and excellent balance, medium finish, not a blockbuster in any sense and too young for any real complexity but a really nice wine from a non-vintage-of-the-century that is already drinking well. A very pleasant surprise.
Ramon_NYC

Re: TN: '07 O. Leflaive and La Fleur Petrus

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Thnks for the notes David.

That 2007 La Fleur Petrus sounds like my kinda wine.

Btw, if ever I'm in Kyoto, I certainly wouldn't mind being royally sake'd, sushi'd, Kobe'd and Geisha'd all the time. I'd even take just being Wagyu'd.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ramon, the La Fleur Petrus was very appealing. It's not a wine I've been familiar with, and the experience prompted me to look for it on Wine Searcher. There were only 4 retail hits, ranging from $65-190/btl. I was hoping I'd see it for more like $40-50.

The Kobe beef was easily the best beef I've ever eaten. The Wagyu I've had in the States didn't come close, but I have had a Flannery steak or two that has, though different in style. The Geisha's performances were beautiful, but their conversational skills were wasted on us non-Japanese-speaking Westerners. Some of the parks and temples in Kyoto are stunningly beautiful, especially this time of year when the fall foliage is in full splendor. NWR, but here are some pics:
Sogenchi Garden, Tenryu-Ji Temple
Sogenchi Garden, Tenryu-Ji Temple
IMG_0198.JPG (477.66 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Kinkaju - Golden Pavilion, Rokuon-Ji Temple
IMG_0007b.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
IMG_0014b.jpg (91.91 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
stefan

Post by stefan »

Beautiful pictures, David.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

Speaking of La Fleur Petrus, I have 3 bottles of the 1999 I believe. This still in the waiting stage or what?

Methinks I bought them off a Parker 94 or higher rating when they were released. Back when.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

alchemeus wrote:Speaking of La Fleur Petrus, I have 3 bottles of the 1999 I believe. This still in the waiting stage or what?

Methinks I bought them off a Parker 94 or higher rating when they were released. Back when.

Just went to the basement to retrieve a quilt, check the La Fleur Petrus, actually 4 bottles of 1998.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

'98 La Fleur Petrus is a stunner.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

JimHow wrote:'98 La Fleur Petrus is a stunner.
Hoping that was a consensus. Weren't exactly inexpensive!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Trust me, it is amazing, I've had it several times, I've always rated it 95+.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

JimHow wrote:Trust me, it is amazing, I've had it several times, I've always rated it 95+.
Good to know, I'd bought them as 'retirement' wines, along with the Mouton and Margaux and Haut-Brion. BTW, had 4 of the Palmer 1999, bottle I tried was awesome, in case you have any.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have no 1999 Palmer left, I drank my last one when Rob and Sue came up, it was outstanding, as was the 1999 Margaux I drank when Art and Kathy came up this September.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

Yeah, had some bad days and popped some great Bordeaux, sniffed and enjoyed and got lost. Helped me they did. Trouble is, this was many of my Bordeaux, Burgundy too. Half-way sane again, damn, missing most of my cellar.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I think I'll open a '99 Palmer for my birthday dinner tomorrow.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Those are nice photos. Thanks for posting them.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

99 Palmer was in fine form at Tom and Gail's dinner this spring and still on the upswing.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

alchemeus wrote:
alchemeus wrote:Speaking of La Fleur Petrus, I have 3 bottles of the 1999 I believe. This still in the waiting stage or what?

Just went to the basement to retrieve a quilt, check the La Fleur Petrus, actually 4 bottles of 1998.
I've little experience with La Fleur Petrus, but Parker, who tends to hedge towards the drink young side, says that '98 La Fleur Petrus is good to go. His start drinking dates have ranged from 2003 to 2008, and his drink by dates are 2020 to 2025. If Jim also says it is good to go, I wouldn't be afraid to open one. But if you really want to see the fruit transform into that aged complexity Bordeaux does so well, you might get more out of it by holding a bottle or two in reserve for a few more years.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I would probably wait another five years or so.
But I'll tell you, those nose on this puppy is tremendous, and it is pretty damned stunning on the taste buds right now.
I think I have two half bottles left.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

DavidG wrote:
alchemeus wrote:

I've little experience with La Fleur Petrus, but Parker, who tends to hedge towards the drink young side, says that '98 La Fleur Petrus is good to go. His start drinking dates have ranged from 2003 to 2008, and his drink by dates are 2020 to 2025. If Jim also says it is good to go, I wouldn't be afraid to open one. But if you really want to see the fruit transform into that aged complexity Bordeaux does so well, you might get more out of it by holding a bottle or two in reserve for a few more years.
Heck David, these will probably be in my true retirement days. IE, 15 more years.

I'm going to pop some bottle of some great wine I have next birthday, I'll be 55. Heck a great port also no doubt, but I have enough of those I could open one now.

If I had any respect I could offer you folk some nice wine for cheap, but then damn, you'd have to have access to them.