98 Pontet Canet is disappointing

Houndsong

98 Pontet Canet is disappointing

Post by Houndsong »

From a 375. I recalibrated my palate given the meh reviews of this wine and yet it is disappointing anyway. I've enjoyed quite a few left bank '98s and would peg 98 left bank as an underrated/unheralded yet successful vintage based on those experiences, including some really nice cru bourgeois. But if the PC was your benchmark I can understand anyone thinking it was a poor vintage. It's a balanced wine but not much else. Wonder what happened.

No match even for the dregs of a 2005 Jadot Savigny les Beaune la Dominode, which is starting to unclench.
jal

Re: 98 Pontet Canet is disappointing

Post by jal »

Yup. Agree. Weak effort by Pontet Canet
Best

Jacques
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

As a straightforward, easy and still fairly classically styled Bordeaux, I think it is quite good. Nothing amazing, just a bit much on the wallet front when thinking of the quality of the actual wine.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

It's bordeaux with a small "b". I have a pretty low threshold for what's good and this doesn't make it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm trying to remember how it performed in the 1998 Pontet-Canet vertical with Alfred Tesseron a few years back. The fact that I can't remember tells me it wasn't very memorable.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Has anyone tried 2002 Pontet Canet? I have a line on a good deal for those.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

JimHow wrote:I'm trying to remember how it performed in the 1998 Pontet-Canet vertical with Alfred Tesseron a few years back. The fact that I can't remember tells me it wasn't very memorable.
The "1998 Pontet-Canet vertical?" That would be one heck of a short tasting! :D

I think 1998 Pontet-Canet is an OK wine, nothing more, for me in keeping with the vintage which I don't rate that highly on the left bank (so far anyway - do need to return to it now it is 12+ years old). Looking back through other recent vintages there hasn't been a wine from them I liked less, although I see I scored the 2007 at the same level, which says something I guess.
BordeauxKassett

Post by BordeauxKassett »

Maybe off topic, but Les Hauts de Pontet 1996 is stunning! Should be available at a reasonable price too?
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

BordeauxKassett wrote:Maybe off topic, but Les Hauts de Pontet 1996 is stunning! Should be available at a reasonable price too?
I've had the 1997 Les Hauts de Pontet. Yes, a so-called off-vintage, but that wine rocked.