Three Bordeaux from last week and a superb Beaujolais

Nicklasss

Three Bordeaux from last week and a superb Beaujolais

Post by Nicklasss »

This weekend, my brother was in town, so we did a little dinner at our parents house.

We opened two Bordeaux 2006 with the dinner. But first, earlier in the week, i opened a half bottle of the 2007 chateau Bastor-Lamontagne. A nice Sauternes but blindly, i would really call it more a Barsac as it has light yellow color, and a medium nose of pears, bananas, light oak. that was still really primary. In mouth, same type of flavors, but add a light touch of vanilla and botrytis. Not really sweet or dense, lighter in style, finish on light flowers. good but nothing impressive there. TN : 86.

With my parents, my brother brought a bottle of the 2006 Chateau Haut-Batailley. This Pauillac is still a bit closed, but the dark red color and clear tones of graphite on the nose, with charcoal and black berries. In mouth, this is dense, still not open, but full of darkcurrants, leather, oak, with a final that is medium on wood and spices. Quite good but I think you should open a bottle in 5-7 years if you have some. TN : 89+.

Second bottle was mine. The 2006 Chateau Gruaud Larose did not received a nice review from Mr. parker, but other critic were more optimistic. Good comments here on BWE, convinced me to buy a bottle. Well, well, drumroll...

:twisted: The wine is quite good. This is typically funky St-Julien, remind me a mix between Talbot and Lagrange. Color was light purple red. Nose is powerful, with lots of red berries, rasberries, funky leather, oak, vanilla, dark berries, black currant. A really nice nose, for a 2006. Probably one of the most interesting/concentrated nose I had for a 2006, up to now. Mouth is flavorfull as well. Good core of santalwood, mixed with some rasberries and blackcurrants, a light touch of animal, with a long medium tannic mineral and ripe red currants finish. Really balanced too and reconfirm that my favorite AOC in the Médoc is St-Julien. i would like to try that wine again in 15-20 years, as it has good matter to get there. TN : 91+. I liked the 2006 Chateau Smith haut-Laffite as well, but that 06 Gruaud is more classical to the claret style, so i preferred it.

Last wine opened this weekend too, is the 2009 Fleurie Poncié from Domaine du Vissoux (Pierre-Marie Chermette). that estate has been a ''revelation'' for me in the 2009 vintage. This Fleurie is dark red, nose is full of little red fruits (strawberries, cherries, red berries) mixed with some violet flowers and ''lilas''flowers. Also a touch of light incense. Long balanced and concentrated finish with some structure too for a Beaujolais. Quite good, as were the Beaujolais and Brouilly from the same producer/vintage. Not the top producer of the Beaujolais, but I would say that Chermette is among the best 10 %. another thing that is really important : so much pleasure to drink, and 20 $... TN : 90.

Nic
Bacchus

Re: Three Bordeaux from last week and a superb Beaujolais

Post by Bacchus »

A timely review from my perspective. I was in the wine store a little earlier today to pick up a white for a pasta dinner when I noticed a number of bottles of both the '05 and '06 GR. I was in a hurry so didn't pick any up -- well, couldn't decide between the 2 vintages -- but I think I'll have to go back and get a bottle or two; maybe one of each vintage. Anyone try the '05?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I have had a couple of different 2009 Beaujolais wines, and they are certainly very nice wines in this vintage.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Thanks - I too think the 06 GL is very classy juice, so subtle and so neatly balanced. Very typical of Parker to read it so badly. My second favourite 06 after Chevalier.

Richard