OMGs! Wine prices

alchemeus

OMGs! Wine prices

Post by alchemeus »

ISIS!

Sheesh, I mean, it's been what...3 years or so since I HAVEN'T GIVEN A SQUAT but damn. Went through saved trash mail yesterday and one was Calvert Woodley Fall Wine Sale. Sale mind you. 2005 Margaux for $1500??? 750ml bottle??? Each???

Freaking Styx but twas just a very few years ago when you could pick if a CASE of Margaux for that. Those 1998 Margaux I got for $90.

Has the wine world gone mad?

And Margaux going for more than Lafite and Latour, ONLY 1200 bucks per?

I'm glad I didn't look at the prices for Petrus or DRC.
Roberto

Re: OMGs! Wine prices

Post by Roberto »

Alch,

I'm with you. I think this is one of the biggest issues in the fine wine world - price inflation.

Roberto
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The RMP90-92-and-Richard-approved 2006 Cantemerle for $25 in the reliable Zachy's futures program is very tempting.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

A favorite of mine should be coming into Z's soon at a good price, La Fleur de Jaugue. The right bank is supposed to be good in '06 and WA calls it a sleeper. The futures price is $20. I have to say though, I'm certainly intrigued by the Cantemerle. I agree though, I can't stand to see those 1st growth prices. Very depressing.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

Roberto,

I knew the prices had shot up, just didn't know the lid had been blown off. I mean, I've been buying unclassed 2005's for like $15 that had delivered FAR more than anything I could get for twice the price from Cal. Hell, some of the Md blends are better for the price than counterparts from CA. But $1500 a bottle? C'mon. Only a fool would pay that that didn't make millions per year and didn't give a damn. Honestly someone with more money than sense.

In other words, a sucker.

I raise my glass of $10 Petite Cabernet (very nice) to Margaux for getting that price. Damn them though for it too. At least I've had it but will never be able to afford it again.
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Guys,
I wonder who is actually making most of that money??
The Chateau sell to intermediaries (negociants and courtisans) and then there is price escalation through the chain.

In some vintages the intermediaries have made a killing, in some others, they hardly cover costs.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

Claudius,

I'm sure the negociants and resellers are making far more than they used to, but I'm also sure Margaux et al are making far more too. I guess now they are making close to $200 profit at least on each bottle of 10000-20000+ case production. Don't expect sympathy from me.