TN: Some recent Non Bordeaux wines that needed to be openned

Rick

TN: Some recent Non Bordeaux wines that needed to be openned

Post by Rick »

• 1997 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Hengst - France, Alsace, Wintzenheim, Alsace Grand Cru AOC (12/19/2010)
    the recent notes below describe this well....lots of fun with lobster and crab...the suggested drinking window had me worried - this has some good years left but no reason to wait to drink my last bottle (92 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine de la Janasse Côtes du Rhône Villages Terre d'Argile - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages (12/15/2010)
    nice QPR
  • 2006 Weingut Johann Haart Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/12/2010)
    lots of citrus and floral flavors to match the sweetness. However, the sweetness is appropriate and well balanced...not a dessert wine ...I actually had with a few cheeses
    I like the idea of another poster below about trying with BBQ
    This was one of those internet deals I took a chance on and it is a winner (92 pts.)
  • 2001 Condado de Haza Ribera del Duero Crianza - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (12/12/2010)
    I almost threw this out but just stuck a cork in it and had a friend try 30-45 min later and it was ready yo drink........do not see this getting better (89 pts.)
  • 2001 Bodegas Alejandro Fernández Ribera del Duero Tinto Pesquera Crianza - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (12/12/2010)
    the bottle was not corked but neither was it good....just could not drink when there are so mnay more enjoyable wines around....did let breath for a while and came back to it but again nothing compelling...........stuck cork in it again and will try tonight to see if a day after openning does anything for this wine
    I have have had some outstanding Pesquera and then ones like this .....seems as if we have a lot of bottle variation
  • 2000 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/7/2010)
    pleasant nose , medium bodied clean taste .....spice , some sweetness cranberries and a hint of strawberries, chewy
    day 2 nice herbs and floral scents on the palate (90 pts.)
  • 1995 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/21/2010)
    pleanty of Beaucastel barnyarn going on...good fruit and integarted tannins...drinking well now (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Loxton Syrah Reserve - USA, California, Sonoma County (11/21/2010)
    very nice solid wine.....has the earthy nose of a S Rhone would stand up well head to head with a medium weight CdP
    pepper, black licorice, cheeries, coco at times, some coffee...what I really like about this is the layers of flavors. This guy with hold up for a while but as a recent release of a 06 there is no need to hold with a little air prior to drinking (90 pts.)
  • 2007 Château Pesquié Côtes du Ventoux Terrasses - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Ventoux (11/14/2010)
    easy to drink light to med weight, drinking by self....decent but light nose, fruit and spice with a good tanic back bone (89 pts.)
  • 2003 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/6/2010)
    very nice nose, petro, minerials
    citrus, lots of flavors (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
JCNorthway

Re: TN: Some recent Non Bordeaux wines that needed to be openned

Post by JCNorthway »

Looks like you've been having fun with wines, Rick. Quite an eclectic collection. I've got a few of the 2007 Pesquie left. I also just recently tasted the 2009 vintage, and it should be worth buying in quantity, also.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Rick:

"NEEDED to be openned.."?

Glad you did and thanks for the TNs.

Not being very knowledgeable about Rhones, what is their typical aging profile?

Michael-P
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good selection Rick. Zind-Humbrecth and Fernandez wines are always interesting and good. Too bad for your 2001 Tinto Pesquera.

Beaucastel too is often a treat.

Nic