Back to Earth: 1995 Meyney

alchemeus

Back to Earth: 1995 Meyney

Post by alchemeus »

This St. Estephe was grand.

Lamb stew and wanted something good. Down to the cellar and saw a singular cap. Pulled it and it was the 1995 Meyney. I figured 'Hey, 14 years in a 60 degree cellar, time.' Damn thing was dark as venous blood. Looked fresh bottled. Aroma wasn't LSDville but really nice with sour cherry\raspberry type fruits. Some little leather\cedar but hints. Also hints of vanilla ice cream. Smooth. Really lovely in the mouth. Great attack of fruit, slight miss on the mid-palate, and not a big finish but really nice. But just divine to smell. I really enjoyed this. I think the 95's in my cellar are ready.
Last edited by alchemeus on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudius

Re: Back to Earth: 995 Meyney

Post by Claudius »

Alch
I've found the lesser 95s are ready but even at lesser Cru Classe level, most are to my taste stil fairly tannic.
Must try a few soon to test them.
alchemeus

Re: Back to Earth: 995 Meyney

Post by alchemeus »

Claudius,

My cellar gets lowest to 59, there now with such a damn cold January\February. The main thing that surprised me was the color. So darn youthful. Older wines I'd bought later were in far browner states. My main lesson, buy young and store, never trust another cellar.

But I do remember I like wines younger than you do. As long as the tannins don't bite they're ready for me.