Just returned from Bordeaux

hendrikus

Just returned from Bordeaux

Post by hendrikus »

Have just returned from a long weekend in Bordeaux; my first ever visit! Wow, it was so much better than I was expecting; I spent most of my time in the Medoc (which was an absolute joy, particularly as the weather was great) but really enjoyed the city too. A restaurant called "La Turpina" was sensational, and apparently (according to a leaflet within the restaurant) the Herald Tribune once rated this place as the second best restaurant on earth! Has anyone ever heard of this place, or indeed read the review?

Whilst visiting the big names was of course delightful, I would particularly recommend the tasting and tour at Lynch Bages. We had a private tour, and the Lynch staff seemed really to value our attendance. Lunch in the bistro just outside Lynch was brilliant; onion soup for starters, followed by roast chicken - all washed down with a lovely bottle of the Haut Bages Averous (a very pleasant second wine in my view).

Rausan-Gassies in Margaux was another unexpected highlight.
JimHow

Re: Just returned from Bordeaux

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the report hendrikus, I'm jealous. If you took any pictures you should post a few. Any gossip on the quality of the 2008 vintage?
hendrikus

Post by hendrikus »

The left bankers seemed quite positive about the 2008 vintage (Lynch Bages were particularly excited) but, clearly, everyone is very nervous about en primeur sales in the current economic climate. Apparently a number of chateaux are looking into how they can cut out the negociants, and sell wine direct from their websites........wouldn't that be intersesting?!

Will get some photos posted asap

Hendrikus
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The Lynch Bages visit was one of the highlights of the BWE group trip to Bdx in '05. Nice tour, very welcoming, and a wonderful lunch with several vintages of the grand vin. I remember Jean-Michel Cazes hanging with us while his son was trying to get him to help set the '04 en primeur prices. Jean-Michel was clearly having more fun drinking and talking with us. One of the rotating pics on the BWE home page is from that lunch - Jean-Michel and BWE's Tim McCracken - one of the principal organizers of that trip.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I still talk about siting next to the man during lunch....what a great lunch that was

rick
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, that was a wonderful lunch. Jean-Michel was late because of a meeting that came up at the last minute and said that he could only drop by for a couple of minutes, but, as David said, he enjoyed our group so much that his son had trouble getting him to go back to work.

Hendrikus, are you new to BWE? Welcome aboard. You should join us on the next BWE trip to Bordeaux.

stefan
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Hendrikus,

Bordeaux is a indeed great place to visit for wine. When I first got there in 2003 I thought that it would be difficult to visit some chateaux given the somewhat "arrogant/distant" attitude that people sometimes link to Bordeaux chateaux. Nothing was further from the truth: it was very easy to make appointments and the tours and tastings were extensive, friendly and personal. I have been there several times and visited many chateaux almost without disappointments.

I'm already looking forward to our next trip in May when we will go there to attend a large tasting event.

I've been to La Tupina several times and although I must say that it is a nice restaurant (otherwise I would not have been there several times), I would never describe it as the second best restaurant in the world, in fact not even as the second best restaurant in Bordeaux. Robert Parker apparantly likes it and has written about it which helps to attract foreign visitors. I think that the wine list is unpleasantly expensive.

The Lunch place next to Lynch Bages is a great place for a good inexpensive lunch. I which that I could find places like that neat where I live.

regards,

Chris
tim

Post by tim »

I'd still like to see us organize another Bordeaux trip at some point (albeit perhaps a bit less hectic). The Lynch Bages lunch was one of the highlights. I remember (and you can barely see it in the picture) the table was covered with rose petals, which reminded me of my first taste of the '89 Lynch Bages. After describing the experience, Francois commented on the "Rose" of Pauillac and how it is something distinct in the appellation.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

How about the Stop the bus to smell the roses at Leoville Barton. Man what a wall of climbing roses and everyones noses stuuffed in a huge plume. Palmer's table was also strewn with roses. Many highlights and second the motion of a repeat visit. 2010 would be great for the 10th BWE Anniversary! What about it.

Danny
Danny
jal

Post by jal »

I've never been to La Tupina but I have the cookbook. It is great and makes you want to just cook homemade roasts and earthy stews all day. One line about sauteing mushrooms starts with: "Take a bunch of mushrooms, wild no the industrial crap (saloperie industrielle)" :lol:
Best

Jacques
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Gail and I went to "The Tupina" courtesy of AlexR and Christine during our visit to Bordeaux last fall. The food was great -- lamb shanks, I think(?) -- and the company was even better!
hendrikus

Post by hendrikus »

wow, thanks for all the posts. great to hear people have been to La Tupina and Lynch Bages.

Yes, fairly new to BWE - would love to join on any Bordeaux trips (being east of UK based, an easy flight for me).

Hendrikus