TN: 1995 Canon la Gaffeliere St. Emilion

JCNorthway

TN: 1995 Canon la Gaffeliere St. Emilion

Post by JCNorthway »

Looking for something to pair with a rack of lamb, I decided to pull the first bottle from a half-case of 1995 Canon la Gaffeliere that I purchased at auction in 1998, not long after release. I'm glad I decided to check in on this wine. Given my experience, and that of others, I've been reluctant to rush the 1995s that I have, knowing that I've opened a few bottles before their time. But this wine, after about 1 1/2 hours in a decanter, was relatively open, pretty aromatic, and a definite pleasure on the palate. Nice rich and dark fruit flavors held together with good structure and earthiness. It was a great match for the lamb, and a very enjoyable wine to swirl, sniff, and drink even after dinner. I would give this wine 91-92 points on this occasion. And I believe it could still improve a bit, though I think it's not far from its best.

Jon
Michael-P

Re: TN: 1995 Canon la Gaffeliere St. Emilion

Post by Michael-P »

Jon:

Nice. How long till it starts to decline?

Michael-P
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Michael,

I don't know that I am really very good at predicting such things. But my guess is that it will remain very good for probably 10 more years, and likely more. Right now, it still has plenty of fruit.

Jon
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Hey Jon (and Michael),

During BWE's adventure in Bordeaux, our dinner with the Comtes von Neipperg was a real eye-opener to me. Although the focus seemed to be on the much touted La Modotte, the Canon la G wines we tasted all seemed suited to long aging. The 1950 Canon la Gaffeliere that was served at dinner had even François thinking it was much younger!

I'm happy to hear that any 1995 is approaching its peak, but I wouldn't be in any hurry to consume the last 5 of your 6-pack, Jon.

Ciao,
Tom
Last edited by Tom In DC on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Thanks for the insight, Tom. Will heed your advice.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Out of curiousity, since I just signed up, I looked in CellarTracker for tasting notes on this wine. Interestingly, the two most recent reviews both said the wine was over the hill or in decline. I was very surprised to see that because the bottle I had was no where near those descriptors.