TN : Birthday, including Perrier-Jouet and 01 Léoville-...

Nicklasss

TN : Birthday, including Perrier-Jouet and 01 Léoville-...

Post by Nicklasss »

It was my birthday on January 13th. We did a little dinner, with friends on the 14th, as it was more appropriate. It was nice as we had some Champagne, foie gras and Barsac, some reds with pâté and cheese, to finish with some pankake with Cognac. A nice evening. the company was great too, and we had many ''cheers'' during the evening. Now, the wine.

2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque : I brought that Champagne as I made a promess to one of the friend that was attending, that we would drink that together. and I must say that this was a real great Champagne. Exactly the style I like in that kind of wine. Light yellow color, with some greenish touch, to remeber how young the wine is. Nose was so refined and complex. On of the nicest nose I had from a Champagne. Light aromas of citrus (orange peel, lemon) mixed with some white flowers, yeast, bread crust. Aerial nose, kind of intrusive, but so good. In mouth, this is also a perfect Champagne. Precision. Zesty feezy attack, with all the super small bubbles. Same citrus flavors as on the nose, mixed with honey and brioche, yellow apples and a really long chalky mineral finish, that ends up, after swallowing, with hazelnuts. Stay elegant, no overpower here, but lot of ''race'' (breed). Well, a special wine. TN : 95.

After that Champagne, I really wonder ''what other wine that night, could compete with that Champagne''? I knew it would be impossible.

2001 Chateau Broustet : A friend opened that. Serve really cold, the color was medium gold. Nose was shy to start with, but opened slowly on bitter orange (like in Grand Marnier), dry apricots, peaches nd a touch of cinnamon. Mouth was light, for a liquorous, and especially for a Deuxième cru Classé. But I think this is underperforming. Lots of apricots, peaches and alcohol flavor in mouth. Not really complex, sweet or acidic. Kind of weird. But with time, and especially when mixed with the foie gras, this is when that wine was giving it best. Add some honey, as the salt in the foie gras made the sugar more apparent, but not a great liquorous. TN : 85.

2007 Uroulat Jurançon : Even if the Barsac was light, this was having a even ligther style. Light yellow color, nose was a mixture of white flowers honey, mint, herbs, cucumber peel. A fresh nose. Less sugar that the Barsac in mouth, light waxy flavors, with light honey, this was good only. Acidity was higher than the Barsac, but nothing as high as I would have thought. Not very long. TN : 82.

2006 Faiveley Nuits-St-Georges ''Les Lavières'' : The style changed here. This wine, with it strong red color and intrusive wet furs/animal nose to start with, made a violet contrast with the sweeties... But after few minutes, nose became more complex, with some dark cherries, herbs and spices. But stayed a ''masculine'' nose, for a Bourgogne. In mouth, this was concentrated, on currant, cherries, musk, strong minerals and leather flavors. Final was a bit harsh, with strong tannins, but my understanding of ''strong tannins'' would change with the next wine. And ye, the final was decently long, on something roasted and black. Not the most seductive, but should have a nice evolution over the next 8-10 years. TN : 87+.

2001 Chateau Léoville Poyferré : Still a ''young'' St-Julien. Dark red color. Nose did not really opened completely, even after 1 hour in the decanter and 1 hour in the glass. But you could smell some cooked strawberries, black berries, roasted oak, ashes, vanilla and leather. There was more fruit, but it was well hidden behind the concentrated closed nose. In mouth, a bit more ''expressive'' with dark berries, fire ashes, black chocolate, moka, black currant, light vanilla. While this was medium fat thick, the final had a ton of tannins, making the final long, structured, with touch of coffee and light bitter dark berries again. I guess I should have decanted that for 3-4 hours, instead of 1. Or easier than that, made me think ''I should not open a Classified Growth before it has 20 years old''... TN : 89-90+.

It was a nice evening anyway, and wine is always a World ''full of surprises, learnings and buzz''. The Perrier-Jouet was really something special, like every top Champagne cuvée I had until now. It is amazing how my tatse for wine has changed in the last year or so. But my focus for 2011 should be on Champagne and... Bourgogne. I will let my Bordeaux age even more, and I'm starting to suffer the long wait... But Pinot Noir, when well choosen, can be more rewarding young, at least for my palate for the last few months.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: TN : Birthday, including Perrier-Jouet and 01 Léoville-...

Post by Nicklasss »

And for pisouri, who will probably ask ''I don't really like Sauternes/Barsac, but would like to buy some Sauternes to freeze it into jelly, to put on my toast, to replace jam'', i suggest to buy as much as you can of the 1992 chateau d'Yquem ;-).

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nice wines for a happy birthday, Nic. Don't be surprised if the Poyferre matures before the Faiveley.

I like Chateau Broustet, but it is very much a Barsac. I have not drunk a bottle that is unctuous.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Sounds like a fun time. The champagne looks good. Belated Happy Birthday.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Happy birthday, Nic. Sounds like a nice celebration.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Happy birthday, Nic.
You're right a out the P-J Fleur. The 2002 is their most successful vintage since the '96.
Now that you are starting to appreciate champagne, I recommend you try as many 2002s as you can find. It's an excellent vintage and available now in the marketplace. But hurry, the 2004s are starting to appear, so soon the 2002s will be gone.

Stuart
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Belated happy birthday Nic.

Funnily enough, I bought a bottle of 2011 LLC two weeks ago.
From what you say, I think I'll hold onto it for another few years.

You wrote "''I should not open a Classified Growth before it has 20 years old".

Well, yes and no...
A wine like LLC is verging on 1st growth quality, and I'll agree with you there.
As for the rest, that is open to question...

All the best,
Alex
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Alex, it was the 01 Poyferré that I opnened. Parker's Bordeaux book, edition from 2005 I think (well the commets stops with the 2003 vintage) recommend to drink it within 15 years of the vinatge. I disagree and that wine can hold for a longer time.

I have some 01 Léoville Las Cases too, but will wait a long time for these bottles...

Nic
JonB

Post by JonB »

Happy Birthday Nic! You know how to celebrate in style.
20 years is about right in the Leoville Poyferre.