another Langhe (Barolo)and another Rosso (Montalc)

rjsussex

another Langhe (Barolo)and another Rosso (Montalc)

Post by rjsussex »

- Langhe Nebbiolo 09 from Burlotto is a great bargain at c £14 in UK - I have to say this is better, more minerally subtle and long than the lovely Produttori Langhe 08. Looking now into Burlotto's top 06 Barolo - will post. This Langhe 09 is certainly the best expression of Nebbiolo at its price point I've come across - but, as a claret maniac, I'm a novice compared to Jono etc!

- Cerbaiona 07 Rosso di Montacino. This very expensive property - only able to buy this Rosso in a sale at c£26 - not exactly cheap. As good as my favourite Rosso - Paradiso di Manfredi 06 at same price? Have to say not. Deep colour, wild and sweetly perfumed nose, succulent and quite long (not very), still some tannin, but it's a bit diffuse and even a touch confected - but that may be the vintage as the Pian del Orino Rosso 07 I found similarly diffuse though very charming. Paradiso di Manfredi Rosso 06 has a bone of steel as well as its quite wonderfully perfumed class - still needs keeping.

Best
Richard
JonoB

Re: another Langhe (Barolo)and another Rosso (Montalc)

Post by JonoB »

I have just picked up some 09 Langhe on offer so I will look forward to that based on this tasting note, and if 07 is sweet as a vintage, I might have to go and get my 07 Rossos out of storage soon!

In Piemonte, although 08 is considered a good vintage, 09 is supposedly even better... Certainly need to look out for them when they pop up, I doubt you'll get better value in 09 than mid to top level piemontese producers once the wines are released. One 09 Nebbiolo d'Alba I tried, looked like Cranberry juice but had poise, structure and depth whilst still drinking nicely to push me to say that 09 will be a special vintage in the right hands. I'll be trying a fair few more in May!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)