TNR: 1986 Pichon Baron

Blanquito

TNR: 1986 Pichon Baron

Post by Blanquito »

Any thoughts, notes, or encouragement about the '86 Pichon Baron? Without the BWE archives, my normal research source is gone.

I've got a line on a case quantity at a fair price, but it's all or nothing so I can't just get a lone bottle to give it a test drive.

I do recall it being good at Ian's epic 1986 horizontal, but there were so many wines that night, I only have the vaguest of recollections.

Thanks.
JonoB

Re: TNR: 1986 Pichon Baron

Post by JonoB »

When we had a London Horizontal our P-B was slightly corked, but underneath the TCA, you could see that it was a very good wine and coming into what should have been it's own.

From a UK board, Ian gave it 91+ and said that it was 'Exotic, a bit horsey and improved considerably in the glass becoming the favorite of the flight amongst the group'.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Pretty much anything from 1986 left bank is can't-miss....
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

I'm inclined to agree Jim, however there are of course problems with some wines... Such as Ducru (TCA in the roof) etc etc.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I recall the '86 Pichon Baron placing in my top half of the many wines that we had in that '86 horizontal tasting. Btw, I also recall liking 95% of the wines that we had then.
Of course, my pov on purchasing mature wines would factor in pricing (I assume you already like the price enough to consider) and provenance (a case of wine with bad provenance would suck!).
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

It was matched up against Beychevelle and Leoville Barton in the first flight of that tasting in 2008. The Barton was deemed to be ever so slightly corked. I thought the Beychevlle was weotf but the baron acquitted itself well and was well-liked.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

Blanquito wrote:Any thoughts, notes, or encouragement about the '86 Pichon Baron? Without the BWE archives, my normal research source is gone.

I've got a line on a case quantity at a fair price, but it's all or nothing so I can't just get a lone bottle to give it a test drive.

I do recall it being good at Ian's epic 1986 horizontal, but there were so many wines that night, I only have the vaguest of recollections.

Thanks.
None. Don't think I've ever tried it.

But the 1996 is great. Had one a few weeks ago. Beware the cork though, more soaked more unstable. After nearly 25 years, a 1986 cork may be tricksey.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If it is left bank and 1986, I'm betting it is high qualty.

I remember a 1986 Pontet Canet I had years back that HWSRN did not rate very high... well before the current Alfred Tesseron, of course... I thought it was great.