TN 2002 Clerc Milon

Houndsong

TN 2002 Clerc Milon

Post by Houndsong »

Had a couple glasses of this last night with dinner. None of the exocticism of the prior night's Gloria. It seems this wine has loosened up a bit, although I recall on release it was one of the more approachable 02s anyway. Not that many 02s weren't approachable, as the BD having drunk perhaps 200 bottles of 02 already will attest. This remains a rounder, sweeter wine than most of the contemporaries I've tried. I recall noting a creamy oak sensation in the first bottle. I couldn't detect any oak at this point but the wine is still creamy-textured. Nicely balanced, only medium bodied, and perhaps a little short yet. I'll keep checking in every two years or so to see when this turns until I get down to the six-bottle mark. I froze about 2/3rds of this and will revisit it next week when I get back to Salida.

I might try a 2000 Ormes de Pez tonight with the Super Bowl pot roast but I'm not committed to the idea - of wine or the Super Bowl.
AlexR

Re: TN 2002 Clerc Milon

Post by AlexR »

Hound,

Thanks for your notes.

I had the 2002 Carbonnieux (red) last night and quite enjoyed it.
I'm thinking that this is turning into what the Bordelais call a "useful" vintage that is enjoyable young although, as you say, it does indeed have aging potential.

I've never, ever tried to freeze a fine red wine.
I'd be interested to hear about your experiences in doing this.
You might even start another thread so other an chime in.

You may induce me to try it!

All the best,
Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thank you for the latest reports on a couple of left bankers from 2002, the greatest Bordeaux vintage since 2000!
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

"Not that many 02s weren't approachable, as the BD having drunk perhaps 200 bottles of 02 already will attest."

200 Bottles? In what time period?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh I've had at least a couple hundred 2002s in the past eight years....
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

Jim, so how many Vintages of the Century are there?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol...
Well, 2002L is my vintage of the new century, if you treat 2000 as part of the last century.

2000 is an awesome vintage across the board.

Other than 2000, 1998R may be the best performance from that decade, in a virtual tie with 1996L.

I still can't figure out 2005, and I don't think it is because they are drinking awkwardly at the six year mark. I had my questions about these wines from early on. But they may come around, who knows. I'm concerned about the high alcohol though.

For me, 2002L hits the spot in balance and in how reserved they are. But they're not for everyone. Most people prefer the Parkerized style rather than the classic, classy, subtle, understated style that has made Bordeaux great for centuries....
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

JimHow wrote:Lol...
Well, 2002L is my vintage of the new century, if you treat 2000 as part of the last century.
I've enjoyed many Bordeaux from this vintage. Surprised me somewhat. Many of the less expensive/unknown chateaux.

2000 is an awesome vintage across the board.
Hope so, haven't popped any yet but have several cases.
Other than 2000, 1998R may be the best performance from that decade, in a virtual tie with 1996L.
Again, hope so. have several mixed cases.
I still can't figure out 2005, and I don't think it is because they are drinking awkwardly at the six year mark. I had my questions about these wines from early on. But they may come around, who knows. I'm concerned about the high alcohol though.
Some of the less expensive wines (less than $20) were very good indeed at poppage, meaning 3 to 5 years since bottling. None available now around here upon general look see. Don't care. Maybe an early drinking vintage? Who knows, didn't buy any Growths.
For me, 2002L hits the spot in balance and in how reserved they are. But they're not for everyone. Most people prefer the Parkerized style rather than the classic, classy, subtle, understated style that has made Bordeaux great for centuries....
Not many 2002's left either. Maybe Those Who Know bought them all up? After my dreadful 2009 year, I'm basically pay check to pay check now.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Jim I'm finding '99 for Pauillac is brilliant as recents tastes of clerc and d'armailhac have told me.
These two are phenomenol. Guilty of buying b4 tasting, I'm starting to think '05 is way overhyped. I'm going to wait another 5 b4 passing judgement, but from what I've tasted, just not classic enuf 4 me.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I've been meaning to thank you for the freezing suggestion. Lucie not being here, I tried it on a half full bottle of Champagne. I could detect no difference the next day when I thawed and drank the rest.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I am very much looking forward to drinking 2002s but not for a long while. I have learned that I have a British palate when it comes to Bordeaux and especially in classic years like lots and lots of age. Especially since Parker didn't review them, the 1st growths were under $100 on futures. So many years from now I will enjoy drinking my Latour and Haut Brion after having driven in my car purchased with the proceeds from selling my Lafite ;)

SF Ed
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Champagne, wow. That I've not tried, Stefan, for two reasons. Three reasons. 1. When I open a bottle with my wife, she drinks all of it. 2. I don't open bottles without my wife. 3. I'm not sure why but I assumed freezing would damage the mousse. But I guess co2 can stay dissolved in ice as well as liquid.

Freezing seems totally Neanderthal but it's no joke. Have not tried it on an aged claret but for younger wines it is superior to any other method I've tried for preserving the day 1 flavor of a bottle overnight, or for weeks for that matter. I haven't found any downside except for the occasional precipitation of tartrates. You can thaw the frozen wine pretty rapidly in a warm water bath.

Anyway I'm glad I could be of some small service to this community.

I did drink up the remainder of this (Clerc) last night, alongside the frozen-one-day remains of Friday night's mystery wine (don't look for me to break my TN posting fast - follow-ups don't count). Last night I got substantially more barrel toast than noted in the original note. This wine has a serious chocolate/graphite streak. Without seeming very glycerous, it seems to have solid extraction. Plenty of flavor and dry extract, if I'm not misusing this technical term to describe the tactile sensation here. It's a Jim How kind of wine.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I'm with you on (1) and (2), but I opened a bottle for a couple of friends and we each drank only a flute before going to dinner. The mousse was fine the second day.