TN: Friday night drinks!

JonoB

TN: Friday night drinks!

Post by JonoB »

Whilst going to taste some 08 Bordeauxs (more on these fifteen wines to follow), a old gent who has lots of cash and wanted to drink with company rather than alone popped into the shop where we were sampling and ordered some wines to drink. He noticed my book of tasting notes and as a qualifier for buying these wines to share, insisted that I send him a copy of my notes and pick wines under a certain price. Here are the notes of the two bottles he insisted on opening...

1970 Chateau Nenin, Pomerol
mushroom, plum, cassis, still deep and surprisingly backward/youthful. Tobacco, delicate, fresh, red fruit, red plum, cherry, soft but strict structure, cedar, spice, truffle, earth, decaying leaves, bell pepper, rosebush but with classic 1970 sweetness, smoke, Flint, subtle longevity, persistent but elegant and understated, earthy, tobacco leaf, almost Pessac-esque, opening beautifully in the glass, decaying plum, will be stunning in 3-5 years, a lovely cigar box finish. A super bottle. *****(**+) or [4.5+5+4.5+4.5~=18.5+/20]

1986 Chateau La Mission Haut Brion, Pessac-Leognan
Boursin cheese, tobacco, cedar, cigar box, big, structured, powerful, cassis, tobacco leaf, a classic blend of 86 and LMHB. Bell pepper, herbs, restrained, wood spice on the finish. Cedar, cigar box, plum, although the fruit has gotten softer and is dissipating with tannins that still need to resolve, this is hardcore but giving, subtle and elegantly beautiful at the same time. Nutmeg, cinnamon, poised and complex. *****(**+) or [4.5+5+5+4~=18.5+/20]

Amazing generosity from the gent who wants to drink again tomorrow! Embarrising for us but he insisted.
After this we met some friends for dinner and after all that young Bordeaux and mature stuff, didn't want anything too serious.

We had a round, ripe, balanced, smooth and rather nice 2009 Malbec ,Mendoza from Pascual Toso before returning home to have a fresh, citrus, limey, smokey mineral 2008 Gris de Koshu, Grace Koshu, Katsunuma, Japan, a Katsunuma Wineries Club bottle that is Grace's Entry level proper Koshu and is a lovely introduction to this wine and it's potential.

A fun day, and hopefully this gent will be as generous tomorrow! ;)
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
alchemeus

Re: TN: Friday night drinks!

Post by alchemeus »

1970 Nenin and a 1986 La Mission. Fine and must have been fun.

I don't care for older wines myself, got to be a point when they go downhill, but as long on uphill slope, fine.

41 years on, WOW. Honestly. Any fruit left would be an amazing vintage, and wine making.

I remember the 1900 Margaux (wasn't it) that was suppose to still be vibrant in 2000. Won't deny, but still a skeptic.

Curmudgeon that I am.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Alchemus,

Yes, and in the 86 in hindsight (provenance perhaps) there was a worrying lack of fruit.
I like my wines older, but I want them to have fruit and mature characters at the same time...and to be fresh. Nothing worse than fruitless, woody, tannic wines. The 70 is a much riper and richer vintage, and was considered great across the board, I didn't expect it to be so fresh and backward (?) if that is the correct word for this. It was a bit of a revelation.

I don't think I ever will taste these two but they are on my list of wines to try before I die... 1900 Margaux, and 1945 Mouton.

(ITB)
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

JonoB wrote:Alchemus,

Yes, and in the 86 in hindsight (provenance perhaps) there was a worrying lack of fruit.
I like my wines older, but I want them to have fruit and mature characters at the same time...and to be fresh. Nothing worse than fruitless, woody, tannic wines. The 70 is a much riper and richer vintage, and was considered great across the board, I didn't expect it to be so fresh and backward (?) if that is the correct word for this. It was a bit of a revelation.

I don't think I ever will taste these two but they are on my list of wines to try before I die... 1900 Margaux, and 1945 Mouton.

Well, yes, on my Want To list, but not a necessity. Love to drink both those. Just to see for myself. Pristine bottles.

But older wines means change of provenance. Who can tell? Don't trust. Heck, I've had corked bottles and I was first owner save the importer and distributer.

I honestly mean congratulations for the '70 Nenin. Wasn't a great vintage as far as I can remember, and 41 years on, goddess was smiling on you.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Very true, but I am probably a risk taker. Happy to have five OK to bad to one amazing. I'm sure the goddess won't smile on me next time I open a 70 Nenin wherever it may be! ;)

(ITB)