2005 Cap de Faugeres
2006 Jadot Pommard
Attachments
four young wines.jpg
four young wines.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 892 times
JimHow

Re: Four young wines with Thursday family dinner

Post by JimHow »

I actually enjoyed the Bad Boy best, a nice little QPR. I have three bottles left, I won't buy any more, but I'm glad I have the remaining three to drink over the next year or two. The Jadot Pommard was showing nothing, absolutely closed on both nose and palate. Didn't drink much of the Cap de Faugeres, although that has always been impressive. The Australian wine was nothing special, pretty commercial if you ask me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yuck the '06 Jadot Pommard is thin and medicinal in the end.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Jim,

Be careful with the Pommards and Beaunes when young. I don't know the '06 vintage but I suspect it is different from '05 where there was a lot of youthful fruit to start. These wines often need years of bottle age to show their stuff. I just finished a '96 Jadot Beaune Ursales that was just beginning to open up after 4 hours in the decanter. These are wines made for age.

Roberto.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Roberto's suggestion makes a lot of sense. I never would have even thought of that. Pommard is supposed to take time but Jadot also I'm not so sure they're supposed to drink that well young. Add to that a much more classic styled vintage and you have...
Burgundy '06 - 1
Jim Howe - 0

Even if you hit more home runs with Burgundy in 2005 than A-Rod did in 2003, you still have to watch out when there's a new pitcher on the mound.
;0)
Chasse
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I hear you guys on the Pommard. boy what a difference a year makes.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Other than what Roberto said though, I would have immediately thought, oh, it's just a much lesser vintage. But it does seem that in my recent memory, when vintages turn out to be less than stellar, the cotes de nuits is usually better, and Volnay and maybe Pommard can suffer, whereas normally, in a great year, Volnay is stellar and Pommard more approachable. I haven't tried that many Pommard but have of course always been intrigued by the name. When I first got into Burgundy, I tried to drink a relatively young one I got from the Burgundy Wine Company. A 1er cru, I forget the name but I was totally baffled by its lack of fruit or complexity.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Ok I love Jadot, but negotiant Pommard from a "normal" vintage is not where I would go for pleasurable drinking.