1994 Bordeaux

JScott

Re: 1994 Bordeaux

Post by JScott »

I've had a number of '94's and still own a few. I've had the LLC a number of times over the past few years and it's very nice. Barton is also strong in '94, as was Haut Brion as Jacques mentioned. I recall having the Montrose quite a few years back, way too early, but I think it should be nice, too.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I remember drinking the '94 Troplong Mondot... excruciatingly, mouth-puckeringly, like-chewing-on-nails, open-my-mouth-with-a-vice tannic. And I loved it!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well, we agree on the descriptors, Jim, and I"m pretty tolerant of tannins, but not that tolerant. I had hopes for it early on, but the fruit just hasn't blossomed over the ensuing years, but the tannins just kept going strong. Last one I had was a year ago. I think I still have one bottle left, and it is yours!
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

DavidG was a long-time member of a tasting group called the "Tannin Pigs", so if Dave is put off by the tannins in a wine, I'll steer clear!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Come to think of it, it may have been the '95 Troplong I was talking about, I remember I had a couple bottles of the '95 and drank both of them (on separate occasions), and loved them despite the high tannins.
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

I have tried a few '94s. The first bottle of LLC came out squarely while the second bottle behaved rather Bordeaux-ish. Latour was soft but good (not the usual power). Gruaud Larose, Clerc Milon and a few I forgot were forgettable. There was one great bottle though -- a Montrose. I think we had a magnum at dinner in '07 BWE convention which was young and good. After returning home, I opened a bottle of 750ml Montrose, which was smooth, silky, a lot of favors, no barn yard at all but clean, very penetrating, and so haunting that in the next few days it called out for me again and again. That was what a great bottle of wine should be. A truly great bottle!

Werner
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

jal wrote:The Lynch Bages and the Cos d'Estournel were both drying out two years ago when I last had them.
Like some others on this thread, I have had great experiences with a several half bottles of the Cos in recent years. Certainly not drying out. But I do like my wines without primary fruit.
Previously known as Geshtin.