Mixed TN : Bordeaux, Italian, Bourgognes and Northern Rhône

Nicklasss

Mixed TN : Bordeaux, Italian, Bourgognes and Northern Rhône

Post by Nicklasss »

Mixed TN.

Few wine opened in the last week.

2007 Côte-Rôtie Nicolas Perrin : Probably a negociant thing as a friend brought that back from a trip to France and I never heard about that domaine before. Even if 2007 is supposed to be a ''medium'' vintage in the Northern Rhône, this was excellent. Dark red color, complex aromas of olives, rasberries, fat, touch red berries and herbs. In mouth, medium concentration, long, fresh, good light tannins. Flavors are persistent, on red berries, rasberries, bacon and leather. Quite good. TN : 91-92. Balanced and pure.

2001 Clos de Vougeot from Domaine Jean Raphet : One of the clearest Bourgogne Grand Cru I have seen in my life! Really light red. Nose is medium intensity, with some light cranberries, cherries, herbs, and light touch of vanillin. In mouth, this is light, elegant, with flavors of soil, earth, red cherries, light kirsch, and has a short to medium long cranberries aftertaste. Very good, but to me, not Grand Cru level. TN : 87.

2006 Chateau Hanteillan : A Cru Bourgeois from the Haut-Médoc AOC that I buy often, because it was one of the first bordeaux i bought in my life (the 1993). Also, it is always classic, a bit light, but really drinkable and inexpensive. Dark red color, nose was really typical with blackcurrants, dark red berries, violets flowers, creamy fruit. Also, something lightly dusty. In mouth, the 2006 is light to medium, with that ''claret'' touch, with dark berries, plums, light touch of licorice, mineral. Light tannins, and decent acidity on the final. Good wine for the price. TN : 87.

2008 Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo : I never had a Villa Gemma or the other medium cuvée of that producer, just the 14-15 $ Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. And I will buy his other cuvées someday... But until now, I'm just really passionned buy his 15 $ ''basic'' Montepulciano. This wine is sooo italian, and so balanced, that it is scary to smell and taste such quality in a low price wine like this! Dark red color, nose is herbal, but with good concentration of fruits (black cherries, rasberries, ripe currants), chocolate, an something reminding furs (musk?). In mouth, closed at first, open without 30 minutes and become a nicely balanced italian style wine. Good core of fruit flavors, good acidity and concentration. Kind of long final, light tannins and... holding really well open as I drank that bottle over 3 days. More fruits flavors (add some dark red apple) and more tannins, Really good and impressive. TN : 89.

2007 Ermitage Nicolas Perrin : Another wine from that producer, that my friend brought from the same trip to France. Dark color. Typial nose of spices, dark resberries, blackcurrants, dust. Add a touch of blueberries and smoke. In mouth, well this is a heavy wine. Nice concentration. Quite tasty too, but stay balanced. Flavors of granite rocks, licorice, dark berries, black flowers (does that exist?) and dark prunes. Concentrated, thick, tannic. Lots of tannins, with the minerals and dark currants final. some acidity too. A super wine, still really young, and will developp probably in something incredible in 8-10 years. TN : 91-92++.

2006 Santenay 1er Cru La Comme from Domaine Renée Lequin-Colin : second bottle in a short time, and still an impressive bottle. Medium to dark red, dark for Pinot. Nose of kirsch cherries, concentrated cranberries, forest floor and/or animal, red berries, cloves. Stil la bit closed. In mouth, well this is masculine for Pinot, but still having that ''light spirit'' of the Pinot. Medium abundant tannins, mixed with oak tannins, minerals, ripe red cherries, and have other stuff I had a tough time to identify. Very good and many years to go. TN : 90.

Well a very good mixture of wine, and except for the Clos de Vougeot, no deception. but i know Clos de Vougeot is the most tricky Grand Cru.

Nic
JEP_62

Re: Mixed TN : Bordeaux, Italian, Bourgognes and Northern Rhône

Post by JEP_62 »

I don't think I've tried the '08 Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo but previous vintages have been my go to QPR from Italy for a couple of years now. I think NH has it for around $10 so I use it to fill a case up during their Italian wine sales and get 15% off that. For my taste, it's hard to beat at $8.50. Nothing from California (and dare I say Bordeaux) at that price point can touch it.

Andy
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Nic,

I visited 75 year-old Jean Raphet 9 days ago! He opened wines left, right, and center. My Australian friend calls him "le Lucky Luke du Tire Bouchon" !
We had the 2000 Clos Vougeot which is a less good year, I believe.

The domaine has been taken over by his son, Gérard, and has also changed name (domaine Gérard Raphet).
Unfortunately, father and son are not on speaking terms.

All the best,
Alex
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Good info on Raphet. I've only had his 2005s (name on label, iirc, is Gerard), and was impressed by them and bought a few 1er to stash away.