Say Goodbye to Hollywood

JimHow

Say Goodbye to Hollywood

Post by JimHow »

The "old" BWE shuts down tomorrow (Saturday) after nearly nine years on the MSN site. It was a pain, but it was home for nearly a decade. And we are here today, for better or worse, because of it. There's a lot of "stuff" over there, in the nearly 400,000 messages on the MSN site, that represent a lot of things to a lot of people over the past decade. It is unclear to me whether we will be able to save the incredible wealth of material over there, but in any event we tried. Regardless, to paraphrase the astronauts of Apollo 13, bidding farewell to the jettisoned Aquarius lunar module shortly before their command module reentry into the safety of Earth's atmosphere: "Farewell, BWE, and we thank you."

Chorus:
Movin' on is a chance you take
Any time you try to stay - together
Whoa
Say a word out of line
And you find that the friends you had
Are gone forever
Forever

So many faces in and out of my life
Some will last
Some will just be now and then
Life is a series of hellos and goodbyes
I'm afraid it's time for goodbye again
Say goodbye to Hollywood
Say goodbye, my baby
Say goodbye to Hollywood
Say goodbye, my baby

-- Billy Joel
JimHow

Re: Say Goodbye to Hollywood

Post by JimHow »

I don't know how much, if anything, we will be able to save from the old BWE. But I thought it was important to at least salvage this one thread....

General : Looking to start a new Bordeaux web site....

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

I have created this community on 2/26/00 in the hope that I can get at least 10-20 Bordeaux enthusiasts to keep a lively discussion going on a weekly basis. I was very frustrated when Wine Spectator changed the format of their bulletin boards. We had a good community of Bordeaux "experts" under the old Wine Spectator system who came on board regularly and offered a lot of information on tasting notes, where to find deals, etc. For some reason, the editors at WS changed to a much less user-friendly system and they have arrogantly ignored our requests to go back to the old format. If we can get some of the old participants to visit here, and work out any kinks along the way to improve this site, I am convinced we can generate some of the old enthusiasm. Time will tell....

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 1 in Discussion

Hey JimHow. I am in full support. I have tried some interesting wines lately. When I have a little time this weekend I will post some notes. Thanks for taking the initiative. Ben

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 1 in Discussion

Great to see you here, Ben. I'm really game to give this a try. I'll be posting some tasting notes as well this weekend. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated greatly. Thanks, Jim.

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 1 in Discussion

Got a question for ya: I like to share TNs with you guys on non- Bordeaux wines from time to time. I figure we all have similar palates so that if I run into something I like I should share... is it ok to break out of the Bordeaux topic from time to time?

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 1 in Discussion

Of course you can write about anything, Ben, I always look forward to your comments. At this point, as we're just getting started, I'm looking for as much discussion as possible....I've got some essays in my word processor that I'm trying to figure out how to get to this site. I've got a lot of ideas on how we can improve this site, I just want to get to know it better. But by all means, give us your notes on California or anything else.... Thanks, Jim.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

It is now shut down. I feel a bit sad, as we seem to have lost the info there (pictures, posts, links, etc). But the most important is still living : the BWE friendship, the wine lovers and the possibility of all new adventures, new wines TN and new vision on the wine World.

R.I.P. BWE on MSN. Anyhow, you was something really special, the birth of a new relationship between lots of real wine lovers from around the World. You created something so unusual and special, that I'll always remember you!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We are still trying to save the messages, nic, although it is unclear to me whether we will be able to. I am leaving that up to the experts like Phil and Mike. We transferred the old BWE to the MSN "Multiply" system, but it is very confusing to me and it is not clear how much has been preserved.
JScott

Post by JScott »

The link is dead. I have deleted it from my desktop and toolbar......for the first time in the better part of a decade. It is a little weird, but I do like the new digs....
michael

Post by michael »

It does appear as though all messages and photos made it to Multiply (although I can't find my link to it anymore). Given that it's all over there now there's still a good chance it can be extracted.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That's good Mike, although what makes you say all the messages are all there? When I checked yesterday it looked like the site was still in transition.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

One small but pleasurable improvement in the new home is the logo and picture: that's a real Riedel-style glass next to that sadly empty bottle (from the shape it looks exactly like the Riedel Vinum Chianti, the industry-standard glass for tastings and my favourite glass for the lighter-style clarets that can be a bit overwhelmed by the Vinum Bordeaux). The old logo/picture had claret that looked like Rose in a glass that looked suspiciously like the dreaded 'Paris goblet'.

No seriously, the new home is great and all praise to those who achieved it so seamlessly.

Richard
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Interesting observations about the logo, Rick, we had some animated discussions about it amongst the management team before going on-line. Phil did a good job tweaking it to its current expression.