Rosso di Montalcino - again

rjsussex

Rosso di Montalcino - again

Post by rjsussex »

You'll know my search for value Brunello and Rosso and perhaps that my favourite value has been the piercingly pure and now maturing Paradiso di Manfredi Rosso 06 (c£26) - Brunello fruit just aged for less. Well, the last 3 bottles of that have all been corky - this run of 3 corked of one wine has never happened to me with any other wine (thankfully they've been replaced free of charge) so i've been looking about and today a case of the 08 Pian del Orino Rosso arrived (c£18). I liked the 07 but found it a touch diffuse (the vintage, I think).

So I'm tasting, as I write, the Pian del Orino 08 and one of the replacement Paradiso di Manfredi 06.

- Pian del Orino Rosso 08: serious colour, noteably deeper than the 07; very pure and expressive Sangio nose, less oak than the 07 tho a touch of oak in background is nice - i prefer this to the more flashy and much more expensive Cerbaiona and Salvioni nose; palate a touch angular and oak is more noticeable and especially on the finish, a touch smudgy all through after that lovely nose but lingering finish is good if not especially pure. Good wine, at £18 this is value along with Pertimali 06 at that price which is more burgundian.
- Paradiso di Manfredi Rosso 06: colour if anything a touch deeper despite age; nose - oh i've come home, it's a proper bottle of this piercing pure Sangio that i adore as much at top Margaux, i just love this aromatic intensity with its reticence as well (the 04 Brunello at £50 didn't really add to this beautiful violet and wild cherry beauty); palate seamless, sedate and vibrant at same time - just pure quality, pure cherry-liqueur length and lovely length.

Instructive. very close in manner, style, balance and winemaking ethos (as i say unlike the more expensive names) but side by side the Paradiso is great wine - really it's so much better than so many Brunellos - and the Pian del Orino is fine at its price point. Very glad to have it - and fingers crossed for no more corkiness in the last case or so in the Paradiso di Manfredi. Best - Richard
rjsussex

Re: Rosso di Montalcino - again

Post by rjsussex »

wanted to add that the Banfi Rosso 08 picked up for an ok £13.50 by the case is - er, is drinkable (just)

Richard
JonoB

Re: Rosso di Montalcino - again

Post by JonoB »

Banfi, drinkable because too young, or just completely overhyped, hoped it was undrinkable?
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)