SF '11: The 1989 vs. 1990 blind tasting

Tom In DC

Re: SF '11: The 1989 vs. 1990 blind tasting

Post by Tom In DC »

The BWE West Coast Gang RULES!
JonB

Post by JonB »

Werner - how do you want to gather the "tasting" wines and allow for proper decant or slow-ox (Auduze)? Eg is this something we should do on an individual basis with the tasting wines, could we bring them to Ed's on Friday, take them to the restaurant early Saturday...or..?

Thank you!
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

Hi Jon,

In the past, we just opened the bottles and poured at the blind tasting. I think it worked well because of different vintages involved. This time we have both '89 and '90, which are close in terms of age, so we could either open and pour, or do a slow breathing by opening the bottles when we organizers get to the venue at 5:30pm (which would give 1 hour and half of breathing before the blind tasting starts). Either approach has its own advantage. The former would give a chance to see the development, while the latter the possible best condition of the night.

If we do the slow breathing, we need to get us all the bottles for the blind tasting before 5:00pm, when we would leave for the venue. We would wait in the main lobby of the BWE resident hotel at 4:45pm, collect the bottles, and then leave at 5:00pm.

Feedback is needed from other guests on this one. If not many response, we just go ahead and do the open-and-pour (in this case, just bring the wine with you and we will open them at the venue).
Werner
Claret

Post by Claret »

I am in favor of some breathing.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

Breathing.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Both times in DC (I think once was '89 vs '90) the wines were opened and double decanted 2-3 hours beforehand. This got them off their sediment before the "bottoms-up" measured pours (the bottles were rinsed before putting the wines back in) and also gave them some time to open up.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Think about how much time you will actually have with the wines and the amount available for each person. This will dictate whether you will have enough time and wine to watch them as they develop. Both were limited at the DC events, which is why I decanted ahead of time. Your circumstances may differ.
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

Thanks for the tips, David. I think the best we coud do is to collect the wines at the hotel at 4:45pm, and open them at 5:30pm at the venue, because we have many different bottles from many people and they don't all stay in the same hotel (some from locals), which makes collecting all bottles earlier difficult. Ed's place on Friday is possible but it all depends if all people of having the wines for blind tasting are going to show up. (Some might go to the spanish wine dinner at 7:00pm, or other early dinners if any more).

Werner
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You're right, Werner, the logistics of getting the wines together is a big factor. I'm sure you'll have a great tasting any way you handle it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. Gathering up the wines can sometimes be a little trickier than you think.
The main thing is to open them all at the same time, whether they are given time to breathe or not.
Cabfan

Post by Cabfan »

Damn this looks like fun! Can't wait to see you guys again.

Peter (Cabfan)
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

Ok, we are going to decant the wines and let them breathe. Please get the wines for the blind tasting to us
1. meet us at the main lobby at 4:45pm, May 21st, Saturday,
2. bring them to Ed's party, or
3. leave them to the front desk for me at the hotel
(which I would check in Friday afternoon and would check with the staff at the front desk for any parcels under my name "Werner Leung" at the following time:
a. After 8pm Friday
b. After 1:30pm Saturday
c. After 4:45pm Saturday, before we leave for the dinner)

Thanks,
Werner
odejesus

Post by odejesus »

It will be JUDGEMENT DAY
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Orlando, since I wont be present to referee, I will have to deputize you to fill in. Keep your eye out for slick promoters and trainers trying to influence the judges. Especially those masquerading as "simple country lawyers." ;)

Seriously though, have a great time, I know you will!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow. I'm hurt. Now what makes you think I'll try try to fudge the numbers of the blind tasting, huh?? I'm hurt, I tell you. Still time to catch a flight here, David!!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Orlando, Nic will vouch for me. My behavior in BWE blind tastings is nothing but completely honest and honorable.
odejesus

Post by odejesus »

Jim, I trust lawyers...... :arrow: I am a doctor
See you soon,
Orlando
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ah, yes, Orlando, Nic will vouch for Jim. But let me warn you, those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it.

So what does history have to tell us about this? Why does Nic vouch for Jim? At first, I thought this was attributable to his youthful naivete and innocent trusting nature, easily bent to the will of the seasoned fight promoter. Then an unidentified source opened my eyes to the seamy underside of the Bordeaux fight game, and the pressure brought to bear on the judges whose solemn responsibility is to score the bouts fairly.

A potentially embarrassing photo of Nic and a whoopie pie arrived mysteriously in my inbox some time ago. I learned that it was taken in a California hotel room at the conclusion of the 2002 BWE Annual Convention. No matter that it probably represents no more than an innocent moment of youthful inebriation. After all, that never stood in George Bush's way. But then voters have shorter memories than spouses. I initially considered posting this photo, but then thoughts of the long arm of the Bordeaux fight gang made me reconsider.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim, I really wish I could join you and the California gang, who I see all too infrequently. Our state eye society's annual meeting starts tomorrow and I can't skip out. I know you'll have a great time and I look forward to hearing the stories after - at least the ones you're willing to tell.