SF '11: The whoopie pie and northern Medoc toast

JimHow

SF '11: The whoopie pie and northern Medoc toast

Post by JimHow »

Werner, some restaurants don't allow outside food into their establishment due to liability concerns.

I wonder if that is the case with the Saturday night venue?

If they are allowed in, I suggest we have some whoopie pies as a separate dessert, to be consumed with some Chateau Lagrange.

We should still have the regular dessert on the menu as well, for those who do not like/do not understand the pie de la whoopie.

I mean, as we all know, it is part of the BWE initiation process: Everyone should have at least one bite of the Maine chocolate cake and cream wonder.

If we can't get them into the restaurant I'll have a stash available in my room... the only requirement being that they must be consumed simultaneously with a sturdy norther Medoc.

Should I have them shipped to your house, Werner, or should I just ship them to the hotel?
JimHow

Re: SF '11: The whoopie pie and northern Medoc toast

Post by JimHow »

My flight is booked, I'll be coming in Wednesday, leaving Sunday afternoon.
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

Jim,

The whoopie pie should be ok at the dinner table, provided that we serve it ourselves. I have been talking to the sale manager of the hotel about the possibility of bringing our own chesse and she seems ok with the idea of bringing our own dessert, besides the one on the menu. But I will confirm with her on the whoopie pie.

It's better to ship to the hotel directly, if they are allowed. If not, shipping to me is fine.

Werner
Last edited by aimeedogdogdog on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

I do have a question for everyone:

Would you like a salad as a second course? Or something staying away from vegetable? Salad doesn't seem agreeing with red bordeaux, but on the other hand, there would be a lot of food and a salad might just be one would need in the mountain of food we are going to eat. I am in the way of replacing the salad with something not green. Let me know if I need to do this.

Thanks,
Werner
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I think a salad would be a good intermezzo, helping everyone transition from Champers and Bordeaux Blanc to real wine :-) :-) :-). We can bring more white Bdx (either more bottles of the 01's listed elsewhere or additional bottles of other wines) if you see the need.

At the same time, most of the BWEnthusiasts I know would tell us that red wine is not just for breakfast anymore, and that Merlot-based right bankers might be just the tonic for choking down a salad!!!
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

We have a choice between cheese or pound cake as dessert for our menu, Since we are going to have whoopie pies (if the hotel allows it), I think we could keep the cheese as dessert on the menu.

Werner
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Werner - I understand your logic but I strongly disagree. The cheese they would serve would be terrible. They have no way to source good cheese. If the group strongly wants cheese, I will assemble a cheese course and bring it and plate it myself.

I will have cheese at the Friday night gathering at my house, so people won't miss out on the SF Ed cheese experience.

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Werner: Even if the restaurant allows whoopie pies, i don't think they should be considered the main dessert option. Too much pressure on the whoopie pie, which, as we all know, is an acquired taste: some like them, some do not. I think the whoopie pie should be an added, separate bonus dessert at the end of the evening for those who want to take part in at least the symbolic tasting of whoopie pie and hearty northern Medoc red wine.
sdr

Post by sdr »

I vote for Ed's cheese, if possible. It's fabulous, better than any sweet dessert, whoopie pie excluded, of course.

Did i miss the description of the rest of the menu?

Stu
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Ed all the way!
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I agree. Do we have enough spare money to add an Ed-Cheese course to dinner?

Michael-P
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

Just so you know, Jim and Ed, the hotel is ok with us bringing the whoopie pies and cheese (if we do this), provided that we serve them ourselves.

Thanks,
Werner
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

There is no budget in the $150 per person for a cheese course, but it seems clear that people want me to create one, so I will. Should I just pass the hat? I trust we will figure this stuff out.

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds good, Werner, I'll order up some pie de la whoopie both for the Saturday dinner and for back at the room.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I am happy to contribute some cash into the hat for a cheese course.

Should we start a separate thread to get more iput?

Michael-P