TN: 1996 Lagrange

Claret

TN: 1996 Lagrange

Post by Claret »

Since I am bringing 1990 Lagrange to SF I figured a taste of the 1996 would provide a good data point after an intense week of work. This is the second bottle opened from a purchase of 9 for under $20 each back in the day. The other bottle opened 2 years ago showed great early on then shut down after an hour or so.

The color is showing some hints of bricking and the overall impression is of a wine that is still on the young side. The nose is revealing lead pencil, redcherry and some menthol but is still in need of more air time.

In the mouth there is more red cherry and earth on a quite long finish with good acidity. It reminds me of the flavors of Cos. Wow,the finish is close to 1 minute and the wine is still not fully opened yet.

I will update later tonight.
Glenn
Claret

Re: TN: 1996 Lagrange

Post by Claret »

Already the body is filling out. This wine is in a fun claret still showing some primary fruit yet morphing into its next phase with softening tannins and earthy flavors.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ah! Lagrange for $20! The good ole days!
oldwinenut

Post by oldwinenut »

Claret: Great note. It has been a few years since I last checked in on this wine and I agree that it is still not at it's optimal drinking window, but it is not a crime to pop one today. Fantastic buy @ $20 per. Wish I had backed up the truck at that price. Enjoy the rest of those bottles.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the report, Glenn.
Save a pour of that 1990 for me!
See you next weekend!
Claret

Post by Claret »

This was a very satisfying tipple. I especially like the polished tannins and the long finish. There is still a small hole in the midpalate that continued to fill out with air and no doubt some more cellar time with help.

I did back up the truck for all they had. Actually I am sure it was mispriced and should have been $38.99 not $18.99.

Jim, no problem.
Glenn
AKR

Post by AKR »

We guzzled a bottle of the 96 Lagrange [St. Julien] with friends tonite, to go with gruyere crusted halibut + green beans almondine. I'd been kind of down on this; recent bottles hadn't been impressive. I double decanted this a few hours before and it was pretty solid. Good acidity to go with food, and being on the medium bodied side, just about right for a heavier fish course. Our friends were all the heretical 'red wine with white fish' kind of people, so I'm sure there is an MW somewhere putting down demerits in their ledger. So count this as mild redemption for the 96 Lagrange.

I've had so much of their various wines over the years, that -- perhaps unfairly -- I've grown blase about what Lagrange has to offer. I remember Musigny even brought the owners to some event we had at the old Triomphe in NYC. To me they are now more of a 'food Bordeaux' than a quaffing one.

PS: fwiw, this was purchased on release for $35 so that's a good deal Claret scored
Claret

Post by Claret »

I have another bottle in the queue for review. Interestingly my original note is from 6 years ago. The 90 opened at that convention was excellent.

Arv, Joanne and I were in Folsom last night. It was the first time meeting her brother after some tasting in Placerville on the way to Folsom. An interesting purchase was 2013 di Vittorio Grenache Port which is fortified with apple spirit made from apples grown on the estate.

We are looking forward to seeing you and Jen in the near future.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 1996 Lagrange was excellent in its youth.
This is another reason why most Bordeaux should be consumed on the younger side rather than later.
I have a case of 2006 Lagrange that I think I'll crack open soon.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:The 1996 Lagrange was excellent in its youth.
This is another reason why most Bordeaux should be consumed on the younger side rather than later.
I have a case of 2006 Lagrange that I think I'll crack open soon.
This is a wine I agree with Jim on aging-- at least so far, I preferred the 96 Lagrange when it was younger (circa 2008). I bought some for $35 from Sherry Lehman in 2004.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I had this last night. My impression was of a fully mature claret, nicely balanced and classically proportioned. I want to say this held promise ten years ago beyond what it delivered last night. Would have to search the old site to find my note. Another way of putting it would be to say while good, it is not worth the 2x-3x price of a good cru bourgeois from the same vintage. What an advantage a 160-year-old artifact of commerce can be today.
Claret

Post by Claret »

As per Arv's suggestion I had to use Google to resurrect this thread.

The nose could be more deep but the flavors are classic St.Julien. Luden's Cough Drop red cherry from my youth, cedar, earth, very good acidity and length. At or close to peak now.

Very enjoyable on my penultimate day in the auction trade with elk mushroom burgers.
Glenn