On to NYC for 2012?

JimHow

On to NYC for 2012?

Post by JimHow »

We won't visit the issue until the fall, but there was a sentiment to go back to the east coast in 2012, perhaps NYC.
We haven't been to the Big Apple since 2003, it had been too long!
Jay Winton

Re: On to NYC for 2012?

Post by Jay Winton »

I liked the May date and chances are wherever we are on the East Coast (well, maybe not Maine), the weather will be pleasant.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, I agree that May is better than late March/early April.
tim

Post by tim »

When are we going back to Bordeaux (with the BD this time)?

The cost of the Bordeaux trip last time was barely more than the cost of a domestic trip for many people. We managed the budget very well, and actually had refunds in the end. I think timing is right to do this again!!!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hmm. Maybe 2013?
I think we're due to get back to the east coast for 2012.
We had some discussion about how to fine tune a NYC experience. Limiting it to actual BWEers and their guests, etc.
If NY doesn't work out, then maybe DC as a backup in 2012.
Then in 2013, maybe France! But that's a BIG maybe, that's a long ways away.
But I like your thinking, Tim!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

What about Colorado? So we can go hang out in the mountains with Pat and Art? (talking my book because I want to use my wine cruiser again). Or Boston?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Like Maine, Massachusetts is very wine unfriendly, we're not allowed to legally bring wine into restaurants.
Colorado may not be a bad idea at some point, but I think the east coast is in the cards for 2012.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

In Boston, I don't think you can legally bring wine into your hotel!!!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That is correct. I have actually had to surrender wine upon entering a Boston hotel.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Seriously, Jim? How did that go down? We've done BYO in Boston, but only with the assistance of a local/regular customer at the restaurant.
JEP_62

Post by JEP_62 »

There are a few BYOs in the Boston area. Some that don't have a liquor license, others that just thumb there nose at the powers that be. The problem is they would be hard pressed to accomodate 35-40 people. I can think of one that has enough room but we would probably take up almost the whole restaurant and I'm not sure they would be willing to do that on a Saturday night.

There are some places outside of the city that I think could handle it, but then you have to worry about transportation back to hotels. I'm sure that could be arranged but it is an added worry.

The only other option would be to do it at a private residence, but then you still have to worry about transportation. I've had that many people for dinner at my house (and if the weather forecast doesn't improve, will this weekend) but I think it would require some hired help to assist with the preparation and serving of dinner.

The other problem is glasses. I think the Boston place would probably have enough, but typically the BYOs around here do not have very decent glasses. We tend to bring our own glasses when we BYO.

Andy
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

The only place anywhere near Boston that I think could host is Gilson's Herb Lyceum in Groton, MA. It's about 45 minutes west of Boston proper. Here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.gilsonslyceum.com/gilsonherbs/KITCHEN.html

They are definately BYO since they do not have a liquor license and they charge NO corkage but we would have to supply our own glassware. I went to a friends 40th birthday there and they do reserve functions there and you can work with them to create your own menu. I think if you can guarantee at least 35 people they'll reserve the whole place for you. Their website says they can accomodate up to fifty. I have not been in a while but the food is quite good. Michael M, Andy J. and myself all live not too far from the place. Cost wise it would probably be well within the ballpark. There normal all-inclusive dinners are $55/person.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

How about BWE Convention in the Alps! We can accommodate 10 other than ourselves. No hotel costs, and there are a few restaurants I can chat too! For numbers, I could also book out the Hotel IBIS around the corner which is obviously not expensive!!!! And we could ask the help of the local wine shop for good venues etc!! If people rented cars, we could even dk a day trip to a top Piemonte producer!! Maybe 2014???

P.S. If in NYC, Mayuko and I will definitely turn up! We were kicking ourselves that we missed Chicago... One of the few cities in the USA that I have more than just an inkling to visit.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We'll shoot for the east coast of the U.S. in 2012, Jono, and who knows where/when/if the world of BWE will take us after that.
Hope you can make it!
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Just wanted to add that the whole "can't bring wines to restaurants in Boston" thing is true but rather fungible. Any restaurant without a liquor license can offer BYO, and as Gerry and Andy alluded to, there are a bunch of wine-friendly restaurants in town who simply look the other way (or even actively encourage BYO). I maintain a spreadsheet (note to self--needs updating) of BYO options in the area and there are over 25 restaurants on the list. They aren't all especially central, but they DO exist. Not that I am pushing Boston as the venue, just trying to set the record a bit straighter... 8-)

-Michael
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

About a dozen years ago ago I was coming into what used to be the Swissotel in the theater district in Boston. I had a brown bag of about six bottles I had purchased out at Martignetti's. Some '94 Ducru and '95 Cos, as I recall. The guy at the front door wouldn't let me bring it into the hotel, we had to put it in my car. He was very nice about it, but was adhering to state law.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Same happened to me at the Marriott Long Wharf. They held the wine in baggage storage until I checked out. Could make supplying a convention a little tough. Maybe we rent a huge RV with a 300 bottle EuroCave built in? :-) :o :shock:
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow, that's ridiculous. Hard to believe that it's really against the law to bring wine into a hotel in MA...

I didn't have any trouble when I was in Boston in April 2010. Rolled my wine carrier case labeled "WineCruzer" right in the door and up to the desk to check in. Guess I'll be more circumspect in the future.