Just a few of the wines Saturday night

Cabfan

Just a few of the wines Saturday night

Post by Cabfan »

One of the frustrating things about these events is that it's almost impossible to taste all of the wines that are opened. Invariably, as the night is winding down, walking around the tables you'll see numerous bottles that you'd wished you'd been able to sample. Here's what I remember, which is only a small sample of what was there.

The champagne welcome included NV Krug, 1981 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, a magnum of 1996 Bollinger Grande Annee, 2002 Dom Perignon. One of the Dom's was funky but the other was fine. Not bad for starters.

1985 and 1996 Haut Brion were also in attendance.

With dinner and the blind tasting there was quite a few '82's including Leoville Las Cases, Ducru Beaucaillou, Pichon Baron, Pichon Lalande (wow), many '89's and '90's including Pichon Baron, Lynch Bages, Pichon Lalande, LLC, Cos d'Estournel. The 1990 Latour I did not get to try, darn it. Saw it after it was drained.

My brain is still trying to recuperate and I'll remember more as the day goes one. There were a few cabs as well, including a 1974 Caymus, 1986 Dominus, and a mag of 1986 Diamond Creek GM. The Caymus was drinking very well, really nice bottle.

The Sauternes were really standouts. 1988 Climens is always a favorite and there was plenty to go around. A few splits of 2003 d'Yquem were also enjoyed, but the mind-blowing 1924 Lafaurie Peyraguey was really exciting. Probably the oldest wine many in the room had ever drank, and I would say that isn't wasn't over the hill at all and probably could last awhile longer. The labels were shot no doubt to moist storage conditions, one of the corks crumbled but the other was intact. That wine was made in the days of flappers and Elliot Ness. The year my grandmother was born.

Alright, others need to chime in to include the wines I forgot to mention . . .

Peter
JimHow

Re: Just a few of the wines Saturday night

Post by JimHow »

At one point I had the 1982 Ducru, 1982 LLC, and 1982 Pichon Lalande in my three glasses, and then of course you brought over the '82 Baron. Orlando brought mags of 2000 Les Forts, 2000 Carruades, and 2000 Pavillion de Margaux, all showing beautifully. 1985 Haut Brion was sublime. We had a 1989 Lynch at our table that was brilliant with the whoopie pies. I haven't even scratched the surface here, there were many epic wines from awesome vintages. 90 Latour, 62 La Dominique, 64 Lascombes, 96 Pape Clement, 90 Lagrange, oh my god it was unbelievable...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow, you guys really outdid yourselves, in true BWE fashion!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was a wild one, David, sorry you missed it.
William P

Post by William P »

1988 Pape Clement, 1978 Latour, 1964 Lascombes, I believe we mentioned that beautiful Caymus. Saw a couple of the 1982 Leoville Las Cases (this wine still needs another 5-10 yrs). The 1962 La Dominque was very much alive!. It was a super evening. I didn't know what to expect from the 2000 Pavillion de Margaux but it was lovely.

We missed you David.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I was stuck in a boring medical meeting while you guys were having what sounds like one of the best BWE events ever. I hope to make the next one, and the next, and the next...

We had the '82 LLC in NYC years ago at a BWE event (at a Chinese place, forget the name, but they did a great job, since out of business, I think). It was tight as a drum to my palate. A few of us took the leftovers and drank it by the banks of the river late that night - still tight as a drum. Not surprised that is evolving glacially.
mike reff

Post by mike reff »

Were there any notes on the 1990 Cos, still have one bottle of this left and was curious to know where it presently is with respect to its life?

Mike
Claret

Post by Claret »

Mike, I will post my notes later, but the Cos is ready now.
Glenn
johnz

Post by johnz »

I had the '90 Cos 1 week ago, and I agree that it's perfectly mature now -- complex bouquet and more expressive than most other St. Estephe wines.

--Gary Rust