Le Difese 2009: Wow, That Was Great.

Jackdaw Dawson

Le Difese 2009: Wow, That Was Great.

Post by Jackdaw Dawson »

Tenuta San Guido Le Difese 2009: Deep ruby. Gorgeous aromas of black cherries, blackberries, freshly turned soil, and briary shrubs, with a hint of iodine and fresh basil. On the palate, the wine is absolutely sensational: it exhibits an intense vinosity, a "wineness" that speaks of the quality of fruit, exceptional farming practices, and low yields from which the wine was derived. Concentrated and full-bodied, with ample but soft tannins, the sweet black cherry, blackberry, and cola flavors are layered and scrumptious. A blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon and 30% Sangiovese, the latter of which provides just the right amount of acidity to balance the fruit and tannins. This is the finest Le Difese yet, and should be considered the IGT equivalent of a Carruades de Lafite from an excellent year. 14% alc. Drink now-2020. (93+ points)

I tasted this last night for my wine reviews, and then drank some with Amanda over dinner to see how it paired with spaghetti with Rao's sauce. Amanda was floored as well. Great pairing by the way. This would clearly fall under the "Super Tuscan" category, but seems to come together in a manner that is less forced than other IGTs I've tasted in the past.

Best,

John
JimHow

Re: Le Difese 2009: Wow, That Was Great.

Post by JimHow »

Looks like it's under $30 at Zachy's, I'll have to give it a try!
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Check for the vintage, Jim. I thought the 2008 was delicious, but haven't tried the 2009 which sounds off the charts.

Bolgheri is one of my favorite regions -- both for wine and as a wonderful place.

Thanks for the update, Jackdaw. As this is the third wine from San Guido, and the first wine is priced like Carruades, it sounds like a screaming deal.

Ciao,
Tom
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like a two-thumbs-up!
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Gosh, I'd love to try this. I'm always looking for good Italians, but this one isn't available here.
Commandeur

Post by Commandeur »

I bought a bottle of Le Diffese 2009on speck last Thursday in Ponsacco and we drank it on Friday night at our Villa under the Tuscan stars.
From the first sip I was enthralled!
it has depth and length but does not over power.
Its a great wine and I shall be getting some in now I am back in Blighty.

Stephen Parsons
Commandeur de Bordeaux