Has Pappadoc (or anybody) tried the 2007 Strub Niersteiner

Houndsong

Has Pappadoc (or anybody) tried the 2007 Strub Niersteiner

Post by Houndsong »

Paterberg Spatlese? ISO a summer quaffer. Must have driving acidity. I thought you were pretty high on the 2007 Germans in general. No tax, no shipping, case pricing looks good. Thanks.
Last edited by Houndsong on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PappaDoc

Re: Has Pappadoc tried the 2007 Strub Niersteiner

Post by PappaDoc »

Have not tried it since a trade tasting last year. I remember likeing it then, I'll see if I can get a re-taste this weekend. I haven't tasted many 07s you'd be far better posing this question to Riesling Fan (David ), the ones I've tried are quite good, Selbach -Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Spatlese, Von Kesselstatt-Scharzhofberger Spat and some JJ Prums.

Our buyer doesn't do enough German tastings. Terry comes in once and a while and we'll open some good wines. Its' been a couple of years since hes' since he been to Zachys. I've been drinking older Germans and Burgs lately
JScott

Re: Has Pappadoc (or anybody) tried the 2007 Strub Niersteiner

Post by JScott »

I bought alot of '01's but not much newer. Went back for a bunch of older stuff after visiting with Pappa and being blown away by some of the stuff he opened. I have some '67's, '76's and '83's I need to find a reason to open. Need to get back up to NYC one of these days but they won't let me carry anything on......
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I haven't had a chance to try the 2007 Strub Niersteiner Paterberg Spatlese yet but I bet it will be really nice. All the other vintages that I have tried of Strub's Paterburg have been very good to outstanding - 1998 Spatlese*** is probably my favorite. Being from Rheinhessen, Stub's wine tend to be a little richer and more on the peach/apricot end of the flavor spectrum as opposed to the apple and lime flavors of the MSR. Just my opinion - feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Chris Bublitz
Claret

Post by Claret »

My experience with Strub is limited to Kabinett and Spatelese and I have never been dissapointed with the quality and value factor. My last purchase was a couple of different 2001's that I have not opened yet

It is somewhat unnerving to see the long depressed prices for Germans start to rise in response to a weaker dollar and increased worldwide awareness of the quality of this planet's best Riesling. Yet these wines are generally still well priced for the quality level. Vintage heat conditions greatly affect this traditionally cool northern climate and the grapes ability to ripen rather than over ripen.
Glenn
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 2001 Strubs-- from all levels-- were/are sensational... if the 2007s come close to that, I will be thrilled.

Patrick-who-loves-2001-German-Riesling
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I'm all in for 17.50 a bottle, including free shipping. Thanks for the stoke.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Sorry I got to this so late...if you want "driving acidity" (not quite sure what that means - but I presume you mean that you want a more "electric" experience) then the '07 Paterberg may not really be your wine. The Bruckchen Kabinett is brighter & more of a summer quaffer. I find the Paterberg gets too ripe to be a summer patio type of wine. I do love the various Paterberg*** Spatlesen (still have the '98, '01 & '05), but I buy Bruckchen Kabinett every year as a go-to wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You know what was a good little year for German wines, at least to a novice like me, who bought a bunch based on PD's recommendations, and really enjoyed them, was 2002.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Rieslingfan wrote:Sorry I got to this so late...if you want "driving acidity" (not quite sure what that means - but I presume you mean that you want a more "electric" experience) ...
Thanks, David. I think acidity pretty much "drives" any wine so we're on the same wavelength. I'm not too concerned. I'll lay some down if they're not the most electric wines. I'll let you know soon.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

JimHow wrote:You know what was a good little year for German wines, at least to a novice like me, who bought a bunch based on PD's recommendations, and really enjoyed them, was 2002.
That's one of the last classically styled vintages (along with 2001 and 2004). Haven't seen its like since, though I am hearing 2008 might be in that vein.
Claret

Post by Claret »

The bright acidity of the 2004's is definetly the style that I adore. The transparency level of the lower Pradikat wines that I have tasted has been very clear as they display a fine sense of earthiness with flowing acidity. My goal is to backfill in this vintage which had the benefit of a stronger purchase dollar.

I just picked up some Dr. Fischer "Classic" from the Saar for $4.99 at Grocery Outlet of all places. It is made in basically a dry Kabinet style with just a touch of RS and good spices. Von Kesselstaat Kaesler Nies'chien Spatelese also excells in 2004.
Glenn
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Good deal on the Dr. Fischer if you like their lean, pick before it rains style. I've never been a fan.