....almost broke the Boycott

JonB

....almost broke the Boycott

Post by JonB »

At 50% off on the PC special, a few of those 2010 Bordeauxs looked like fair value.....back to 2005 pricing.

But with several 2005s Bordeauxs yet to be delivered, and a "full cellar', I bit just on a few Burgs.
JimHow

Re: ....almost broke the Boycott

Post by JimHow »

Be strong, Jon. Be strong....
Claret

Post by Claret »

I was tempted by Lannesan for $9.99 but opted for some 1990 Spatlese from another source.
Glenn
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I haven't bought a single bottle of 2010 Bx yet.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Me neither... Still waiting for prices to half!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, well done.

Glenn, I will be happy to entertain a "$9.99 Lanessan Exemption" if you so choose.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Only fair. But have you tasted the 2010 Lanessan? Going by the 2008, I wonder if Lanessan has become more RP friendly. It was a pretty friendly wine to me for a 'classical' vintage. It sounds a bit similar to Jim's Talbot.
-Chasse
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Not if it's a few wines being offered as loss leaders and they aren't putting the entire operation at risk. But then, how would the average customer know that?

BTW, PC has not seen a single cent of my money since the '05s, and they wont until every last bottle is delivered. Still waiting on a case...
JonB

Post by JonB »

Dan - if you have any insight on what this sale signifies for PC and/or its suppliers, please let us know.

David - I'm still on out on '05s from PC as well. The last communication I had with them was in June....PC said some were in their possession (a warehouse in London) and would be shipped to them stateside soon, and the remaining would arrive by the end of the year (that's what they said the prior year).
stefan

Post by stefan »

With any luck, they will hold the wines for another five years, when it will be time to try them.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Free PC storage! No worrying!
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Better to pay the extra $2, $5, $10 or whatever extra per bottle. Luckily I got everything I've ever ordered. Not going back.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I've never gone to PC for a measly $10/btl savings. And I've always received every bottle, up until the '05s. I actually still think they'll come through, but even if they do I'll never order futures from them again, and unless every '05 is delivered, I'll never buy an in-stock bottle from them.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
It may be a loss leader and the Euro indent price is about E15 - or at least $US20.
Yet the international press is sayng that the US market has largely collapsed for 2010 Bordeaux.
The biggest buyers are in traditional European markets, not Asia by the way.
Though demand has been equivalent to 2009 in Singapore, CHina etc according to a few friends in the business.h
If imprters in the US took strong positions in 2010 indents they DO have a problem as the level of demnad has fallen and they be stuck with stock that is not being sold.
Even in Asia, the labels that increased prices considerably (eg Lascombes, some Pessac wines) are not selling.

The QPR wines are moving here in Asia but not all the buyers are stupid.
Sure there is a market for lafite and Latour at just about any price but also note that these are famous estates - which is not really the case for a lot of others that have raised prices. And the buyers see little point when they can buy 2005 at a much ower price.
For example Pontet Canet 05 is half the price of 2010 and good vintages like 2001 and 2002 (the latter is excellent) is a third the price and ready to drink, not in 10-20 years.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I wonder what will happen to the Bordeaux market after next Tuesday....
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

DavidG wrote:I've never gone to PC for a measly $10/btl savings. And I've always received every bottle, up until the '05s. I actually still think they'll come through, but even if they do I'll never order futures from them again, and unless every '05 is delivered, I'll never buy an in-stock bottle from them.
David: When I was getting anxious with non-delivery of my 2005 Pomerols by PC (6 months ago?), I was advised by local wine-geeks to ask for substitutions of in-stock bottles and/or cash refund with nominal interest. But they delivered my bottles just at that point when I considered calling to negotiate. I figured I’d present the negotiation option that some folks were happy with, in case you get fed up.

Claudius2 wrote:If imprters in the US took strong positions in 2010 indents they DO have a problem as the level of demnad has fallen and they be stuck with stock that is not being sold.
This seems to be the standard headline every time futures pricing are released post-2005. I’m not in the market (last time was 2005), but somehow I won’t be surprised if it does really happen with today's insane pricing.

Claudius2 wrote:For example Pontet Canet 05 is half the price of 2010 and good vintages like 2001 and 2002 (the latter is excellent) is a third the price and ready to drink, not in 10-20 years.
2002 Pontet-Canet ready to drink? I remember that this was very austere and backward at release. I have a few of these stashed away and am excited to hear this.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Still waiting on a goodly number of 2007 CDPs from PC (and some 2009 Bordeaux futures, 3 cases of 375mls and 1 case of 750mls). It used to be just Bordeaux futures that were slow at PC!

I used to go pre-arrival at PC for as little as $5/bottles savings, but nevermore. The delivery of my last remaining 2005s was just in time to "enable" me for these 2009 futures.

Wonder when I'll get those 2009s.

Not buying any 2010s (from anywhere, per the BD's edict).
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Don't forget the BD's blanket boycott exemption for wines under $30 per 750.

I've bought one bottle of 2010 Bordeaux - the Domaine de Chevalier rosé for about $18. Under the $30 mark, and I wonder if all rosé should be exempt since you really can't rely on back vintages in your cellar for these.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Tom,

I've never had a rosé from Bordeaux, as far as I can recall. I'm aware that DDC has good reputation for their whites. I've been buying and trying out rosé from everywhere in this weather. How is this rosé?

Ramon
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

It was really quite tasty, Ramon. Pretty rich and full for a rosé, but typical berry fruit in a lithe package that went well with an assortment of cold antipasti. Gail liked it quite a bit and she isn't usually much of a fan of anyone's rosé.

By the way, I checked DdC's website (stay on the home page for a great Louis Armstrong tune!) and they don't mention the rosé anywhere. But I can still find it on wine-searcher (at Calvert-Woodley in DC) so I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it! :D
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Tom: I did check winesearcher after I posted and saw that the closest place to buy for me is DC. I'm not much into rich and full rosé, anyway. Given the pricing in the teens I'm normally inclined to buy, but probably won't regret not buying this one. I've been drinking more of Baudry's 2010 Chinon Rosé this summer. Mineral, light-medium body, with the typical but lean, berry fruit. $16 here.