Diverse set of some great wines

Blanquito

Diverse set of some great wines

Post by Blanquito »

Montevetrano 1996
Really terrific wine, my first test drive from this producer. Very Bordeaux on the expressive bouquet with mature scents of charcoal, smoke and dried black cherries. It's palate gives it away as italian with it's high (and engaging) acidity and a bit of ripe licorice. Very classy and elegant, with good length and a wonderful old world rusticity. Loved it. 94 pts.

Montelena Estate Cabernet 1992
The richness goes up some here, with a sweet creamy note, some heft in the midpalate and a bit more oak, but still a classy cab. Not really a Bordeaux lookalike, but nicely balanced nevertheless. This bottle is a bit more expressive than the last which was fairly tight. Overall, I think the 92 Montelena will be better in another 3-5 years. 92 pts with some upside.

Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet 1993
A big step down, probably fading. The bouquet is going kinda herbal with some VA, and the palate us breaking up a bit. Too much oak, sweet without enough stuffing. Ugh. Unrated, overthehill.

Roagna Riserva Barbaresco 1990
I've had some otherworldly bottles of this- tonight was merely good, and someone else said it was off, too. That said, really nice Nebbiolo with classic tar and roses, great acidity, that old school earthiness married to good sweetness and decent length. Seemed a bit muted on the nose. 90-91 pts.

Feudi San Gregorio Serpico 2001
Big, rich, uber minerally, young, high alcohol, high glycerin, somewhere between Priorat and Aussie... but I like it. Serious juice with some aglianico verve and acidity holding it together. More intense than heavy overall. Probably better down the line. 92 pts, higher if you love the style.

Terra Lavoro 2002
Another new wine for me. Very, very nice, with claret aromatics and again, wonderful old world typicity (without being too austere or lean). Black fruited, with notes of asphault. Another one to look for (except it's a bit too expensive). Don't seem like it will improve much nor make old bones. 92-93 pts.

Dunn Howell Mountain Cabernet 1993
Sensational wine. In a great place, with terrific intensity and fruit yet totally dry and balanced. It's got that Napa cab mint going on with some bittersweet chocolate. Very aromatic and expressive, yet fresh and food friendly. Alas, not cheap but worth the tariff. My favorite. 95 pts.
JimHow

Re: Diverse set of some great wines

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Blanquito...
Are you and the bro gonna be in the big city this summer/fall?
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Wow, whoever was pouring hit a lot of my touch-points! We've been loading up on Montevetrano since '95 - it's a wine that seems to need a lot of rack time, so it's good to hear that the '96 is starting to play nice. Terre di Lavoro is another long time fave, and we should note that 2002 is a weak vintage thereof!

And ditto on Jimbo's query...
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

I like Montevetrano. They have the structure of a Bordeaux and the sexiness of a burgundy. I have some '96,'97,'98?. I guess it will take a bit more time before maturing.

Thanks for the notes, Patrick.

Werner
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 1996 Montevetrano is ready to go, Werner. If you've got a few, I'd definitely put one in the drink-now line...

Jim, Tom: I'll be in NYC Aug 17th with my brother. It's a Thursday, but Ian is ready to rumble that night. Join us! Can we get a bigger BWE team to rally?