Two 2000 crus bourgeois

AlexR

Two 2000 crus bourgeois

Post by AlexR »

Inaugurated our new dining room with a good, uncomplicated summer meal and some vino :-).

2005 Château Robin, Côtes de Castillon was rich and plummy, pretty primary and good (no oak showing and not much length).

2000 Château Beaumont, Haut-Médoc: This is drinking well now. It has nice tertiary blackcurrant characteristics, but seems a little thin. Still, a fine Médoc in a minor key.

2000 Château Lannessan, Haut Médoc: I've long liked this estate, an inexpensive old-fashioned wine. However, it let me down this time. Nondescript, lacklustre, boring. I doubt it'll improve further, but I have one more bottle and will give it another chance in 3 years or so.

The above confirms that many 2000 Bordeaux - other than the finest great growths, of course - are fine to drink now.
I look forward to reading about comparative tastings of the latter wines on the Internet because 2000 is kind of my swan song: the last fine vintage I have any quantity of, and I'm not getting any younger :-).
So, I'm very interested in knowing when they'll be ready to drink!

All the best,
Alex R.
AlexR

Re: Two 2000 crus bourgeois

Post by AlexR »

Interesting.
I see that 5 people have read my post by 5:30 am.

Considering that most BWEers are in America, that means they also tend to stay up very late... or get up very early!

Alex R.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Sorry, forgot to add that 5:30 am was EST.

Alex
stefan

Post by stefan »

It is hard to believe that Lannessan did not make a good wine in 2000.

We drink Beaumont early and finished our case of 2000 three years ago. Now we are drinking our '05, which also is good.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I don't know if the dates on top of posts are accurate.
If they are, the last time I wrote up 2000 Lannessan was ten years ago (which doesn't seem right to me).
Anyway, we had a bottle of this wine at lunch and it showed better.
Certainly it was a little thin, and the aftertaste lacked power, but it was a classic Médoc you'd be hard put to dislike :-).
I have one more bottle, but there is really no reason to age this wine further.

Alex R.
Attachments
20210514_135904[1].jpg
AKR

Post by AKR »

Definitely should be drunk now
johnz

Post by johnz »

I purchased six bottles of 2000 Lanessan on release for $12/btl. All were very good and quite classic, but not profound -- just a good bordeaux at an excellent price. I drank them all up from 2012 - 2016, and agree that they won't get better and need drinking.

--Gary Rust
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I seem to like this 2000 Lanessan more than you boys, and while it’s in an excellent drinking zone right now, I do not think it is going to fall off the cliff any time soon. A really classic cru bourgeois. Wish there were more wines likes this in the market. To me, for us daily wine drinkers, I think wines like this are as important - and arguably more important - than the blue chip Bordeaux that you drink on weekends or special evenings.
Rainer Guntermann

Post by Rainer Guntermann »

I really like Lanessan a lot and have drunk through 2 cases in the last years and ordered it often in our favourite restaurant in Hamburg due to its excellent QPR.
The 2000 is a very reliable wine and a bottle 4 weeks ago was mature, but as Orlando said far away from falling over the cliff. Dark fruited, medium bodied, melted tannins, and lots of wood and forest aromae. I really like these kind of cru Bourgeois which are often punching above their weight and mature Lannessan is a poster Child for this.Happy to have a few and some mags left. From our cellar a perfect Sunday roast wine.
Cheers
Rainer