TN: 1988 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape

DavidG

TN: 1988 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Post by DavidG »

This has been a favorite of Peggy's and mine - been drinking them for the last 15 years - and it is still showing nicely.
  • 1988 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (3/1/2009)
    Cellared since release, cork is pristine and fill is within 1/4" of the cork. Dark red core, lightening with a little bricking at the rim. Nose is a little shy at first, but opens up within 30 minutes to show cherry, strawberry, leather, roast meat, earthy forest floor. No barnyard/bretty aromas. Medium body, fruit, leather and earthiness follow on the palate, nice balance, still a little tannin present, fruit intensity fades a bit on the back palate but a bit of sweet aged forest floorcomes in mid-palate and persists for a nice finish. Should hold a few more years at least. Excellent.
A nice match with grilled ribeyes, glad we've still got a few bottles left.
HarryKaris

Re: TN: 1988 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Post by HarryKaris »

Thanks for the note David. Totally agree a very good wine. Maybe my wines are a bit better conserved.....and will last a few years longer although there is no need to wait any longer.
CdP-Harry
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Mine have been well stored since release, but they did have to make the journey across the Atlantic. When I said "a few more years at least" - the emphasis should have been on "at least." I wouldn't be surprised if they last a lot longer. There are still some tannins there and no signs of the fruit fading, but I don't have as much experience with CnDP as with Bdx to predict. I've been holding a double mag of this for our 25th anniversary celebration, perhaps I should hold on for 30th...
johnz

Post by johnz »

I've had many fine btls of '88 Beaucastel, and am starting to believe the "secret" to "Beau" is to stock up on the "lesser" vintages because they just don't make mediocre wine. I've been drinking 750s and Mags of the '94 vintage over the past few years and loving it. Two weeks ago the wine from Magnum of '94 stood up very well against a fine and clean btl of '89 Beaucastel. I love the '90, but for QPR -- go for the cheaper vintages and still get a fine wine -- '88, '94, '99, maybe '07??
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Hey, John, welcome aboard. I agree wholeheartedly about Beaucastel. I'm a big fan and buy it in most years. Though I did skip '02...