Smith-Haut-Lafitte 05 & 06

Bacchus

Smith-Haut-Lafitte 05 & 06

Post by Bacchus »

So I was checking the web site for my local store and it indicated that 3 bottles of 2004 PLL had come in, transfered from a store on the west side of the island. I rush on over to get them to discover that 2 had already been sold! :cry: I picked up 3rd, but since I had budgeted for all 3, I decide to pick up 2 bottles of SHL, an 05 and an 06. When I got home I put the PLL in the cellar, but decided to pop the 2 SHLs.

On opening the 2005 SHL I didn't much care for it. The most striking scent on the nose upon popping the cork was fresh bread, but bread that's a little too yeasty. The pallet, for me, only got worse. It reminded me of a butter/brown sugar mix that had been burnt in a failed attempt to make cinnamon buns -- burnt caramel. The finish was long, but the back end was bitter and the alcohol seemed a bit hot, despite being only 13.5%. A little cassis in there, probably some leather and tobacco too, but the bitternes over-rode it all. An hour later things had settled down. It still isn't my favourite wine, but it wasn't so bitter or hot. What's missing. Oh ya,the Grave!!!!

The '06 is the better wine in my opinion. On opening it I could smell something of the the smokey gravel one expects out of Grave. Better flavour profile too -- some current, something cedar-like; not too complex I suppose. Still not my favourite wine, but better than the '05.

I'm a bit disappointed to tell you the truth. I wanted to like these more than I do. I've stoppered them and I'm going to leave them 24 hours before trying them again. Hopefully things will improve.
Bacchus

Re: Smith-Haut-Lafitte 05 & 06

Post by Bacchus »

Okay, it's about 20 hours later. It's lunch and I need something to wash down those home made burgers, made from extra lean ground beef! What a difference a day makes! Both wines are drinking much better today. The burnt edge of the 05 has receded, as has the tart edge of the 06. I'm really a lot happier with both these wines today than I was yesterday. Yesterday I was kinda regretting having bought them, today I'm glad I did. I've noticed this pattern a lot with Bordeaux when the year begins with a 2 -- so many seem tough going on the first day, but open up and balance out after 24 hours. Is it just me? Any one else experience this? I suppose it means they need more time in the horizontal position, but it also bodes well for those who have them in storage. Yesterday I preferred the 06 to the 05. Today it's the reverse. The 05 clearly has more stuffing in it: cassis, currents, cedar, some plum, and mineral in good proportion. The strong burnt caramel flavours that bothered me yesterday are mostly gone. Better balance now. If the 05 is a mid-heavy weight, the 06 is a middle weight. Still, the flavour profile is there. Nice wines, actually. They make me want to try the 03 again. The last time I tried the 03 I didn't much care for it. Not because of the flavour profile, however, but because it seemed a bit flaccid to me -- not enough acidity. Maybe if I let a bottle sit open for a day, things might improve with it too. In any event, I'd be happy to own either the 05 or 06, and will certainly pick some up if I can get them on sale (in Canada both now retail for over $100/bottle!!).
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I enjoyed the 2006. It was easy to spot from tasting notes I've read here and elsewhere about recent vintages of SHL. In comparison the 2006 DdC was more of what I'd expect from a young Bordeaux. Substantial but not showy. I'll try and hold off on my other two bottles of each for say five and 10 years and see what they're like then.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

tasted the 04 and 05 SHL....the 04 made quick work out of the 05, not even a comparison. I love the 04 vintage
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

I'd like to try the 04 robertgoulet; I generally like 04 too. Even though I only posted my impressions of the 05 and 06 SHL over two days, I continued to drink the two bottles over another 2 days. They definitely improved over this time and I would have no difficulty adding a few bottles of each to my cellar. It got so I couldn't decide which year I liked better, even though it was easy to tell them apart.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

SHL is consistently excellent every year.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Bacchus, you can't have enuff '01 or '04 SHL. Some of the best bang for the buck :!:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have a case of the 02 and 04, I've drunk about a case of the 01.
Winesense

Post by Winesense »

It is far too early to drink the 05. No surprise it was better the next day.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm assuming that, when someone (like me) says they like or don't like a younger vintage like 2005, they have factored in the fact that it still has years to go before it reaches its peak. I can usually tell whether I like a wine even when it is very young. The 2003 pontet Canet would be an exception. I think that wine is going to be great, even though it has gone into a real funk in recent years.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Im a big admirer of the 06 SHL - if not purely for its beautiful 'mocha nose. Have only one in my cellar at the moment but looking to source some more.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

I don't think I'm as good at determining how something will turn out as others are -- just not enough experience with older Bdx. That said, the development of the '05 over just a couple of days (open of course) caused me to pick a few up in order to lay them down. I noticed last week that our government system is now making a small quantity of the '04 available. So, RobertGoulet, I may soon have a half case or so of one of your favourite wines in one of your favourite vintages. :-)
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Goooooulet Likes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'04 SHL very similar to '01, I just snagged a couple more!!!!

and if anyone finds any '04 alter ego, buy as many as u can!!! Took the '04 Alter Ego to a dinner 8months back with some big hitters and for a couple it was WOTN.
Even the '02 Jim's favorite vintage, it to is lovely :) Both vintages are ready now