TN: A mysterious St.-Emilion - Tour Peyronneau 2005

Otto Nieminen

TN: A mysterious St.-Emilion - Tour Peyronneau 2005

Post by Otto Nieminen »

We have been receiving a several moderately priced (by Finnish standards - these are probably cheaper everywhere else) 2005s and 2006s. I bought a curious wine I had never heard of before: Château Tour Peyronneau 2005 St.-Emilion Grand Cru; 13,5%; 19,57€.

What makes this curious is that it is listed as 100% Merlot - I don't remember seeing another St.-Emilion as a varietal Merlot, but I suppose there must be some others, too. Also curious was that I didn't find a reference to this property in Peppercorn or Johnson's pocket book. But the wine was rather attractive! Before realising it was a St.-Emilion, I blurted out to my dinner companions that it showed much pure Pomerol character despite some oak that needs to integrate. :oops: But even now with the label before me I still agree: it is fleshy, plummy, loamy with dark and sweet fruit. Full bodied and sweetly fruity palate, fleshy, soft but with and undercurrent of tannins that keep the boisterous fruit in check despite the low acidity. Despite the wine's fruit forward nature, it is refreshing. A very nice surprise especially because it is drinking so well in this youthful stage. I guess it will soon shut down - it seems to have the elements required to age some time.
Previously known as Geshtin.
stefan

Re: TN: A mysterious St.-Emilion - Tour Peyronneau 2005

Post by stefan »

Otto, Wine-Searcher lists only one place in the U.S. that carries this wine. There it is $25.

I also cannot think of another St Emilion that is 100% Merlot.

stefan
daramg

Post by daramg »

Chateau La Fleur Morange Mathilde is 100% Merlot. I picked up quite a few of 2005 at the Costco for $21 last year.
Few btls I tried so far has been fantastic and long lives ahead....
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Stefan, nice to hear that for once we're not being too badly ripped off! :)

Daramg, interesting to hear of another one! Did it by any chance also remind you more of Pomerol than St.-Emilion?
daramg

Post by daramg »

Otto, it was a different animal... there was no denying that it was a Bordeaux and it was lush, fresh and pure in terms of fruit quality. According to a guy who works at the local wine store here in San Jose, this particular cuvee has not seen any oak(!!). Not sure how true that is though... RP scored 93 and it is definitely worth searching out for....
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Daramg, no oak? That is music to my ears! :) Must try to find some of that.

BTW, Jim Budd (of Jim's Loire -fame) let me know that this is the second wine of a property that also is new to me: Château Bernateau.