85 La Lagune

stefan

85 La Lagune

Post by stefan »

Tonight Lucie and I made our first visit to Chez Panisse since arriving in Berkeley a couple of weeks ago. We had reservations at the upstairs cafe, but when we arrived, we discovered that the restaurant had a cancellation so we grabbed a table there. Fortunately, I had brought an appropriate wine to drink with Grilled Sonoma liberty duck breast with roasted fig and onion relish, green beans, chanterelles, and fried potatoes.

1985 La Lagune. We have drunk probably 30 bottles of this over the years, but this was the best one yet, and not only because it was a perfect match for the duck. It had that special La Lagune enchanting bouquet, a matching palate that was firm and soft at the same time, and a taste that lingered for half a minute. Lucie 96. stefan 95.
AlexR

Re: 85 La Lagune

Post by AlexR »

Stefan,

I'm glad you snagged a table at Chez Panisse. I've always wanted to go there...

I know you're a big fan of La Lagune and I have a very fine memory of savoring the 82 you brought with you to Laurent in Paris.

Perhaps we can visit the estate next time you come to Bx.?

All the best,
Alex
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, that would be great, Alex. It has been too long since I was last there.

stefan
William P

Post by William P »

Perfect wine for a great meal.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Ches Panisse was one of our favorite "go to" when we lived in the Bay Area.

That 1985 La Lagune sounds like a wine right up my alley. Now, if only I can find a good bottle at reaonable price.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ramon, you can often find it around $50. Just don't bid against me if you find it at WB (where my moniker is stefan)!
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Bill, I see it. Dammit, those bidders with names of "... of Intl" can really put a damper on things.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I really enjoyed the only La Lagune I ever had, courtesy of Patrick. I don't recall if it was an 86, 88, or 89. But it was what you want in mature claret. Despite this and all I've read, I've got alligator arms when it comes to actually buying any modern vintages. Not sure why.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

That's good news about the 1985 La Lagune - pretty sure I have one more bottle left. Probably open it soon. Speaking of 1985 Bordeaux, a bottle of 1985 Leoville Barton opened on Friday night was very nice.

Chris Bublitz