TN: 2003 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape

JimHow

TN: 2003 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Post by JimHow »

• 2003 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (3/3/2009)
    I liked the funky nose, although the palate doesn't seem to quite rise to the occasion. Earthy and stewed, with tobacco and spice. Pleasant, with some interesting complexities, I just don't think it is quite my cup of tea stylistically. (88 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
HarryKaris

Re: TN: 2003 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Post by HarryKaris »

Very atypical CdP this 2003 Guigal Jim....too much stewed fruit and a bit disjointed.

Harry
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like it is more the vintage than the producer Harry. Any other recommended vintages for this wine?
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

JimHow wrote:Sounds like it is more the vintage than the producer Harry. Any other recommended vintages for this wine?
For me Guigal is not really a player in any CdP vintage good or bad. Most of the time their wines are solid and good but because of the 'bulk' production never great, outstanding nor superb. There are to many wines out there showing way more better with an own identity.

2003 was a very weird vintage - late picking was the secret...most of Guigal's suppliers were early pickers...these wines lack freshness and balance.

Harry
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the CdP reports Harry. I may not be reporting on any more CdPs between now and the DC convention in the first week of April, I'm going to try to take a bit of a wine holiday in training for the big bash in DC, but I am definitely going to get some 2007 Chateauneuf du Pape into my cellar, my interest has definitely been triggered.