2003 Moulin Saint Georges

Houndsong

2003 Moulin Saint Georges

Post by Houndsong »

Seeking validation for my recent re-stocking, I found it last night. Popped and poured on a whim. This is excellent stuff and possibly tasting a bit younger than the last bottle I had which I've cellared since release. Especially after about two hours this was showing very well, with a pronounced black tea aroma. It's a pretty powerful wine yet well-balanced, with enough of everything, including acidity, to permit extended cellaring. At the same time the wine is really enjoyable now (as it has been all along) if you aren't put off by some firm tannins and a bit of unintegrated (at least on opening) 100% new oak. This has great scale and proportion, and does make an impression. It's dark and darkly flavored with a sort of underbrush/maple/smoke aspect. This brought me back to the early days when it seemed so many wines were both easy to appreciate and had a meditative, contemplative quality, i.e. a "drinker and a thinker."
JCNorthway

Re: 2003 Moulin Saint Georges

Post by JCNorthway »

This wine in the 1982 vintage was the first "aged" Bordeaux that I remember drinking - about 1995. It was a memorable experience, resulting in my buying bottles in 95, 96, 98 and 00. Unfortunately, the 95s and 96s were drunk too young. The remainder will be enjoyed in the years to come.
Bacchus

Re: 2003 Moulin Saint Georges

Post by Bacchus »

MSG -- interesting set of initials -- is a wine I've never tried. There are no '03s left here, but there's a rash of '04s available, and they're quite affordable; '05s almost twice the price! Anyone have thoughts on either of these vintages?