TN: 2000 Noel Verset Cornas

salilb

TN: 2000 Noel Verset Cornas

Post by salilb »

In a great place right now, tasting like something made from equal parts pork and fruit. There's that saline meatiness and brothy flavour I always find in Verset, but plenty of bright olive and dark berried fruit beneath and an unusual anise note that emerges with some air. Lovely, and I'm looking forward to following my other bottles over time.
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: 2000 Noel Verset Cornas

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thnaks for the note salilb, this is a wine that I have been dying to acquire

Do you have any older vintages?
salilb

Post by salilb »

Yup, have a scattering of older Versets from the 90s and a lone bottle of the 88. Great, great wines, and I just wish he was still making them.

At least there's still Allemand.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Nice Verset TN, salil.
I have a lone bottle from 90's and a mix case of 2004-06, which would be Verset's last 3 vintages and which, I suppose, I'll should look to drink when I'm old and toothless.

Allemand rocks! I will have a few Reynard '96 that's yet to be delivered and, depending on how travel plans work out during the holidays, may be able to snag a few 97s.

These wines are so friggin hard to come by here in the US .... you must be buying all of them!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yeah true Ramon

I came very late to the party but stocked up on a lot of Allemand and Clape about two years ago....04, 05, 06, 07...quite some ways to go before they can drink.

I bitterly regret not stocking up on Noel Verset. Only slightly less than not snagging some Gentaz Dervieux Cote Rotie. But thats another story.

Getting back to Allemand - the 99 and 00 Chaillots are drinking nicely.
salilb

Post by salilb »

Ramon - let's sit down over some N. Rhones when the weather cools... you bring the Allemand, I'll bring the Verset. ;)

Ian - I find that Allemand Chaillot is one of those rare wines that rewards opening almost all the time. A bottle of the 2005 recently was outstanding.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

I've had real problems with my Verset Cornas. Had five from the case, two drinkable, with two oxidised and one corked. Just bad luck probably, reading the wonderful report here.