Good cellar worthy 2008

Chateau Vin

Good cellar worthy 2008

Post by Chateau Vin »

Am interested in 2008s with good cellar potential, like 20-25 years. Don't want to throw in insane amount of money, but looking around less than 150 bucks...Any suggestions from the wise?

:?:
Bacchus

Re: Good cellar worthy 2008

Post by Bacchus »

Looks like Ch Meyney fits the bill! :lol:
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

If you're seriously asking, Pontet Canet.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Thank you all for replying.

I want to gift a 2008 for someone who loves wines for their 25th anniversary...I am seriously looking for a bordeaux that can be age worthy for 25 yrs. I know its difficult to find something that age worthy considering not so blockbuster vintage compared to 09 and 10. Even if I can find something that is higher in price, am willing to consider.

Ch. Vin
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Chateau Vin, I didn't recommend any particular wines because I haven't yet tasted a single '08. Indeed, where I live they are only now starting to appear on the store shelves. And it is only in the last few weeks that people here are starting to post their initial impressions of the wines. However, from what I've read, while 2008 may not be an '09 or a 2010, it's still not that bad a vintage, and there should be lots of long agers in the mix. Again, from what I've read, the right bank, especially pomerol, is particularly good (see the recent post by Claudius2 http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... f=4&t=3216). The left bank is spottier apparently, with St. Julien being the sweet spot. If that's so, you should be safe buying any of the Leoville wines, Ducru Beaucaillou, Beychevelle, Gruard Larose, etc. You might want to take a look at what Chris Kissack has to say on his site: http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingsfo ... 2008.shtml

Hope this helps.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I liked the 2008 Leoville Poyferre, Chateau Vin, which I got for $60ish and I believe will last 25+ years.

I've also bought 2008 Montrose and 2008 Pichon Baron in the $90 range, I haven't tried them yet but I'll bet they are ageworthy.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

08 Leoville Poyferre is a very nice wine (had it a month or two ago) and should definitely go 25 years. Closer to $70 now from what I've seen, but even at that price still a good deal.
Winesense

Post by Winesense »

I had a chance to try the 2008 several times. My favorite wine (apart from the expensive names) is clinet. It has a great structure , length and depth. It also has a herbal note that makes it very interesting. I noticed a similar not in Petrus and Lafleur.
Other ideas are Latour a Pomerol, Certan de May. From the less known names I would go for L' Inclassable (strong and tasty), Jean Faure (a great old Terrior next to Cheval Blanc, a great royal wine) and La Bessane.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Thank you all for giving your valuable suggestions...

Finally, I settled on 08 Pontet Canet. While I am at it, it was hard to pull myself. What the heck, I got a 08 Leoville-las-cases for myself...Suweeeet...

-Ch. Vin
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Vin. Very well done indeed.