TNs on Inexpensive Bordeaux

Jackdaw Dawson

TNs on Inexpensive Bordeaux

Post by Jackdaw Dawson »

Tasted some inexpensive, recent-vintage Bordeaux. The Fonbadet is quite nice, and I think it sells for around $35 a bottle. Not amazing, of course, but worth having a bottle or two around if you like Bordeaux.

Chateau Fonbadet Pauilliac Cru Bourgeois Superieur 2008: Showcasing a sublime texture, the Fonbadet 2008 is one of the surprises of the vintage. Round and smooth, this nearly full-bodied offering delivers black raspberry and cassis-like flavors that are polished and concentrated. Excellent depth on the midpalate and finish, where soil tones add complexity. Composed of a blend dominated by Cabernet Sauvignon, with sizeable percentages of Merlot and Cabernet Franc as well. Notably, the grapes for this wine come from a blend of non-contiguous vineyards that border the heavy hitters of Pauillac, including Chateaux Latour, Mouton Rothschild, Pontet Canet, and Lynch Bages. This is classic Bordeaux that cheats the vintage. Drink now-2017. (90 points)

Chateau Laudac Prestige Bordeaux Superior 2009: Dark purple core, fuschia at the rim. This blend of 75% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Cabernet Franc reveals trademark Bordeaux aromas and flavors of lead pencil, graphite, blackberries, and cassis, but in the relatively unBordeaux-like price range of $20. Noteworthy depth of flavor for such a well-priced Bordeaux. Drink now-2015. (89 points).

Chateau Peybrun 2009: Pleasing aromas and flavors of walnuts and ripe black fruits with an oily, minty midpalate. Medium-bodied. Drink now-2014. (87 points)
Chateau La Fleur St. Emilion 2008: Sappy and delicious, this fruit forward St. Emilion possesses a core of black fruits that have an exotic hint of banana. Extractive and easy to drink, there is a buttery oak component on the finish that marks this as new school St. Emilion. For winedrinkers who tend to avoid oak-laden wines, this may not be your cup of tea. Drink now-2014. (89 points).

Chateau Picque Caillou Pessac-Leognan 2008: Dark ruby. Mellow cassis aromas are followed by notes of dark soil, graphite, and blackberries. Very dry on the palate. Tres authentique. Drink now-2014. (87 points)
stefan

Re: TNs on Inexpensive Bordeaux

Post by stefan »

Nice wines & notes, Jackdaw, but I remember when we did not consider a $35 bottle inexpensive.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I've had several 09s for $15 and under that were quite good so that appears to be a good one for every day quaffers. Thanks for the TNs
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Thanks for the TNs - am finishing a bottle of the Picque Caillou Pessac-Leognan 2008 as I type. I didnt particularly enjoy it on day one (too thin despite a lovely nose of casis, leather and licorice). Have enjoyed it much more on day 2 though. The tannins became more integrated and the palate quite a bit earthier, meatier and chewy. Still found it a tad thin at the end though.

I
Last edited by Ianjaig on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Of course, my eyes darted immediately to a header like that.

I know 3 of the 4. Fonbadet is made by a woman. It's across from Haut Bages Liberal and practically next door to Lynch Bages. I've usually felt that this estate has underperformed, but you make me want to get to know more recent vintages.

Pique Caillou is practically in the city of Bordeaux and it's amazing that the vineyards weren't swallowed up by urban sprawl. This used to be brought in by container-loads into the US by Château and Estates. I recently picked up a couple of bottles of the 2009. They make a white too.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Nothing in the cab sauv world beats good inexpensive Bordeaux for the same price range. While $35 is not inexpensive to me nowadays, but when I loaded up when Zachys would sell 2002-2004s of Pique Caillou and Paveill Luze at $8 - $12 per bottle, these wines with enough complexity and Old World structrure were the best cab sauv-based "house" wines I could have then.