TN: Geantet-Pansiot Gevrey-Chambertin 'les jeune rois' 2008

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Geantet-Pansiot Gevrey-Chambertin 'les jeune rois' 2008

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Geantet-Pansiot Gevrey-Chambertin 'les jeune rois' 2008

Disclaimer: I was selling this wine on Monday. I sold out the remaining stock of 3 six packs.

Beautiful opaque ruby/purple color. Some pink at the rim. Dark fruits, blackberries, earth, minerals and subtle spices on the nose. Some sweet shit. It was closing down a bit after hours and hours of singing a seductive baritone ballad, perhaps a bit like Don Giovanni. Velvety texture, elegant, beautiful fruit. Sees 1/3 new wood and it's beautifully integrated. Long finish with fruit and tannins. Minerals, iron ore, earth, blackberries, black cherry and more on the palate. Medium+ bodied. Perfect balance. Rich and powerful - a great wine that will probably close down at some point but is drinking really well now. Great producer. That this is not a 1er cru is really funny. Maybe that's why it only sells for around $80 - $100 dollars a bottle. Totally worth it.

-Chasse
Tom In DC

Re: TN: Geantet-Pansiot Gevrey-Chambertin 'les jeune rois' 2008

Post by Tom In DC »

Thanks for the info, Chasse. It's always fun to find wines that as Jim would say "punch above their weight class." Of course, many (the sane ones?) would think that the $80-$100 range is starting to get into the serious category...

Disclaimers aside, this does sound like a terrific wine. In general, is this a producer to seek out? I've heard the name often enough, but I'm not sure I've ever tried anything from there.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Hey, Tom
I believe that Geantet-Pansiot is a top producer. Their domaine is in Gevrey-Chambertin. They are rated by Burghound and in the WA, the 2005s were all rated in the 89 and up range with most in the low 90s and one wine a 95. The wines are pretty rare, as most top Burgundies are. This was the cheapest wine that we carry from them, and it was fantastic. Some Burgundies are just super expensive as we know. Some go for a little less and are still great. In the Cotes de Nuits, there can be some absurdly pricey stuff from people that one has never really heard of. I can't remember now if I had heard of Geantet-Pansiot before I took on this job, but I did a little research when I first saw the portfolio and found that they are well-regarded. Now I know why. My company does not sell anything cut rate, meaning, they're not giving it away. You might be able to find some better prices. At Zachy's, they advertised that they had the '05 of this wine for $60. Of course, they were out of stock. I have to say, I like the name: Geantet-Pansiot
-Chasse
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I agree that this is a very good producer.
I have found some to be rather oaky when young, but not overpoweringly so.
I am a bit surprised at the prices - 08s were not really high priced and it would pay to shop around.

I visited the domaine in 2000 - it is a small shopfront type domaine at the north east end of the town.
I just walked in and they gave me several wines to try.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I like the lower end ones from this producer too. Also a bit surprised at the $80 prices for the 08s, given that the last ones I bought, and currently in storage, were $40 for the 2002s.

I brought a '96 Charmes-Chambertin to a dinner a year ago and was slightly left for wanting as it was not as approachable as I'd wish it would be. Here was a TN:

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... iot#p15693
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

We're not Kansas, I mean... 2002 anymore, Toto

People complain about our price sometimes. But not the ones who bought it from me. I estimated a standard markup. It may not be a name like Lignier, etc. But... You have to remember, wine prices are not geared towards ultra saavy shoppers like you guys.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I might add that I dare say it is as good and costs LESS than much of what that money buys in Bordeaux these days.

Thanks for posting!
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Not complaining about your price. My comment was more a shrug-and-wonder kind of thing how wine prices have escalated over the years as I've seen and experienced too. Although, I may have an upcoming trip to Kansas and if I find the opportunity to wander into a wine store ... I'll make sure to check out pricing on this or an equivalent. :)

While I agree that newer vintages of Bordeaux are obscenely-priced (one of the reason why I haven't bought any from 2006 vintage onward), and admittedly, I've not tasted the 2008 G-P Jeune Rois, but there are still a lot of Bordeaux going back to 1995 vintage that are priced similarly or lower that are worth their respective prices to my taste.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Thanks, guys. I think we can all agree that there are good and bad values in most wine regions, but we mostly have to pay up for the good stuff from established producers.

Putting on my curmudgeon hat (Wait a minute! Do I ever take that off???), way back when you could get fine classified growth Bordeaux for $10-20 per bottle and 1er Cru Burgundy and good Barolo typically cost twice as much! Times (and prices) have changed...
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Postscript
I drank some of this wine 36 hours after opening. It was amazingly good. Tannins almost completely resolved, great blue fruits and balance.