Bordeaux 2000 revisited...13 wines

greatbxfreak

Bordeaux 2000 revisited...13 wines

Post by greatbxfreak »

I spent two weeks during the 2000 harvest in Bordeaux and met several vignerons, who hardly believed what Mother Nature gave them. Perfect conditions from mid July to the end of September, perfect weather, perfect ripening, perfect grapes. All the red grape varieties did exceptionally well. Sanitary conditions of grapes were as perfect as they could be. At the sorting tables all over Bordeaux, there was nothing to throw out. Yields were big, maybe a bit too big for some lower classified properties.
Tuesday the 1st November 2011, Copenhagen Chapter of Commanderie de Bordeaux, took the pulse on 2000 vintage, 11 years after. 13 wines were split in 4 flights and tasted semi-blind. We knew which wines we were tasting in each flight but didn’t know the order of the wines served. This tasting confirmed that 2000 vintage is an excellent one!

Flight 1 – de Chambrun, Clos Rene, Corbin
Flight 2 – Clos de Marquis, Rauzan Gassies, Roc de Cambes, Talbot
Flight 3 – Beychevelle, Giscours, Monbousquet
Flight 4 – Pape Clement, Pichon Comtesse, Troplong Mondot

Flight 1

1. Dark red, slightly watery edge, elegant blueberry nose, ripe tannin but a little bit edgy, finishes rather short on aftertaste. In all quite good wine but it was too light for me for the vintage. My guess was Clos Rene, but it turned out to be Corbin from Saint-Emilion.. Corbin’s owner, Anabelle Cruise Bardinet, bought it in 1999, finished vinification of 1998 vintage, so 2000 was her second 100% own vintage. She told me, that Corbin didn’t show its true potential in 2000 vintage, due to not that good shape of the vineyard. 88p.
2. Dark red, more intense blueberries on the nose, well-balanced, fine structure and long aftertaste. Tastes very well already. Fine effort indeed for the vintage. 90p. Guessed Corbin here but it was Clos Rene from Pomerol.
3. Almost black red. Easy to guess with its modern style. Plenty of fruit supported by plenty of oak, clearly well-extracted, splendid balance and length, pretty lively. I guessed de Chambrun and it was de Chambrun. Will probably keep for 5-10 years more. 91p. Made by Jean-Philippe Janouiex (Croix Mouton and La Confession).

Flight 2

1. Dusty flavors, spicy and very special on the nose. Cranberries? Not showing that much, too young to taste. Well-balanced and well-structured. 89p. I guessed Roc de Cambes and it was Roc de Cambes from Cotes de Bourg. I expected it to be better than its present showing.
2. Really fine nose of blackberries/blueberries, very captivating, splendid balance, sappy, deep and long aftertaste. I was pretty sure it was Talbot but I guessed wrong. But no, it was Rauzan Gassies, this perennial underachiever from Margaux commune and neighbor to R.Segla. What a pleasant surprise!! 93p.
3. Similar to wine nr. 2 in this flight, but slightly less intense on the nose and on the palate. Guessed Rauzan Gassies but it was Talbot from Saint-Julien. 93p.
4. Powerful stuff, tight, deep and long. Great structure and style. Stupendous wine with great possibilities. My guess was Clos de Marquis from Saint-Julien. Well done! 94p.

Flight 3

1. Almost black red. Very captivating nose of perfectly ripe blueberry/blackberry fruit, deep, strong structure, rich, sophisticated touch, finesse. Beautifully balanced. Long and firm aftertaste. This wine oozed of class and classical Bordeaux style. Giscours, not really, it was Beychevelle from Saint-Julien. This bottle was better than one I tasted five years ago. Long life. 95p.
2. Almost similar to wine nr.1 in this flight with slightly less fruit sweetness. Still it was fabulous stuff. Guessed Beychevelle, but it was Giscours from Margaux commune. 95p.
3. Raspberries, spicy, clearly overtaken by these two beauty wines in this flight. Nice depth and concentration. Easy to guess – Monbousquet from Saint-Emilion and it was. 88p.

Flight 4

1. Dusty flavors, very intense and deep on the nose and palate. Iron strong structure, multifaceted, stunning balance and length. Very young wine but already showing its formidable qualities. Guessed Troplong Mondot, but was incorrect. It turned out to be Pape Clemen from Pessac-Leognan. 15-25 years more. 96p.
2. Stunningly elegant wine full of finesse and sophisticated movements. Very stylish with enchanting black berry fruit. Great, great balance, great length and caressing aftertaste. It had to be Pichon Comtesse from Puillac and I was right. May it live forever! Magnificent bottle. 96+p
3. Very, very oaky, iron strong structure, deep, immensely concentrated (black-/blueberry fruit) and long. Many, many years ahead. Guessed Pape Clement and I was wrong. It was Troplong Mondot from Saint-Emilion. Great bottle. 96p.

:D
Last edited by greatbxfreak on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimHow

Re: Bordeaux 2000 revisited...13 wines

Post by JimHow »

Very nice update.
I've had several of those wines, and loved them as much as you.
I agree that the 2000 Giscours is stunning.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Thank you for the very informative notes!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks for the update. Would you say generally these are in a good drinking window now or should they sit some more. I might try a Giscours this weekend INTOS.

Danny
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I brought a bottle of 2000 Giscours over to my friends at another law firm a couple Christmases ago.
We ended up uncorking it and drinking it with their staff out of paper cups. Loved it! So did everyone else.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

The data points certainly help. Thanks for the notes.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

The Beychevelle drank well right from release, it seems to me. I also like the Clos Rene. It was really hard to find a 2000 I didn't like, frankly.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Izak,

Fascinating tasting!
And useful as well, because I have several of the wines in my cellar.

Whoduthunk 00 Rauzan Gassies would show so well!
So much for preconceived notions...

Thanks for sharing. Fascinating.

Alex R.