TN: 1999 Haut Bailly and 1993 Jamet Cote Rotie

Ramon_NYC

TN: 1999 Haut Bailly and 1993 Jamet Cote Rotie

Post by Ramon_NYC »

1999 Ch. Haut Bailly, Pessac-Leognan
Shy whiff of tobacco and grilled meat. Very tannic and acidic upon popping and pouring. I ate my dinner rather slowly to give the wine some catch-up air time. With time, opened up sufficiently with black and blue fruit and definitely picked up on the Graves aromatic intensity. Should have decanted in advance. Good, but not a powerhouse, but much better with the fatty ribeye than the 1993 Cote Rotie. B+

1993 Jamet Cote Rotie, Northern Rhone
Despite the trademark silky texture that Jamet consistently shows-off with other vintages that I had, this wine was true to this un-heralded Rhone vintage with its light and very lean fruit, showing much less extraction and intensity. I give it a generous rating for being a decent drinking Northern Rhone in a bad vintage, but, given the pedigree and after being spoiled by recent wines from this producer, this is not a good Jamet . B/B-
salilb

Re: TN: 1999 Haut Bailly and 1993 Jamet Cote Rotie

Post by salilb »

Rather disappointing to read about the Jamet. I'd have expected more; I've had a couple of very good 93s despite the vintage being rather light (Belle's Crozes-Hermitage and Guigal's La Landonne).

The Haut Bailly sounds very nice, if young. I'll forget those stupid ideas I had about checking into one of my bottles of the 01.
(Though the 96 Haut Bailly was outstanding a couple of months ago...)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for reporting Ramon.

In the 1993 vintage, I'm considering the B/B- for the Jamet a good mark! The only vintage I have in the cellar is the 2001, and a bottle opened in the past was good, but made me understand the wine would need more time in the cellar.

Nic
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Salil: I'd love to get data point on the Haut Bailly '01. I have a 3-pack, but it takes time and $ to have them pulled and delivered to me from my offline storage.

Nic: I've rated a lot more '93 No Rhone wines lower than Jamet. There's probably a little bit of double standard on my part because I seem to always expect Jamet to come through in a big way in any vintage. Hey, I'm still good with having a few more of the '93. I haven't had and don't have the 2001. I'm presuming that that will be a nice vintage to excitedly look forward to.
salilb

Post by salilb »

Well, at some point when we get together (and the theme isn't Northern Rhone Syrah) I'll be more than happy to open a bottle.

Aside, have a bottle of the 96 Verset Cornas standing up in anticipation of Monday night... and then of course there's the Allemand (and other fun wines). :D