TN The lid is off the 2002 Ducru Beaucaillou

Houndsong

TN The lid is off the 2002 Ducru Beaucaillou

Post by Houndsong »

This must be what great Bordeaux was like before all of the Greatest Vintages Ever.
JimHow

Re: TN The lid is off the 2002 Ducru Beaucaillou

Post by JimHow »

I'm gonna break my 4 week drinking fast tonight as well...

Looking forward to your note, Hound, from 2002L, that greatest of vintages in this century!
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Very 2002. It had that sort of acrid, tense bouquet that makes your nostrils quiver, and a finish of lip-smacking acidity and tannin. In between it's a medium-weight wine with cool but ripe fruit. And it's still young. It was fine on its own but seemed richer with steaks. Probably most like the 2002 Duhart - high pitched - but it's been so long on that one I can only vaguely recall it. Not the structure and drive of say a 1996 but a seeming complete wine in the vintage.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

A nice wine I think. It's cooler style of vintage which wil appeal to many who are turned off by modern Bordeaux. Because it's a 'lighter' style of vintage there are some who have earmarked it as early drinking, but I don't agree (although I've only tasted a relatively small selection of wines, all left bank). It's nice to see someone else feels that at least one wine is "still young".
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I've never thought of the 02 left bank wines as early drinkers, unless you like to drink your Bordeaux early, which some do, including me somtimes when I'm in the mood. But there's nothing in their constitution per se that makes them so.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I haven't had Ducru from 2002 but the thought of Ducru + 2002 makes my mouth water, that has got to be my kind of wine!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
I have a case of it in Sydney.
Must try to bring it back to Singapore.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You are a lucky man, Claudius.
One of the most classy, seamless, traditionally styled St. Juliens combined with one of the most classically styled, restrained, old school Bordeaux vintages.... Mmmmmmmm!!
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

Houndsong wrote:I've never thought of the 02 left bank wines as early drinkers, unless you like to drink your Bordeaux early, which some do, including me somtimes when I'm in the mood. But there's nothing in their constitution per se that makes them so.
No me neither. But others have made that comment, such as Jancis Robinson after the 2009 Southwold tasting (annual UK tasting attended by merchants and highly selected members of the press - i.e. not me!) when she wrote "The wines were never going to be particularly long lived, so many should be starting to drink well now", here: http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a200910132.html.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Well Chris in reference to that bit the 2002 Malartic Lagraviere really did stand out for me when I had it last spring. It's more full bodied and richer than most of the 02s I've had. But I also liked the Sociando Mallet as well or better than just about every other 02 I tried. Guess I'm a masochist.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

2002 LLC is a tour de force... Nice to know that Ducru was built along those lines as well.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)