BWE Tasting of 2005 Bordeaux: Occupy the Vintage of the Eon

Blanquito

BWE Tasting of 2005 Bordeaux: Occupy the Vintage of the Eon

Post by Blanquito »

The experts have spoken. Hound has spoken. Let's have BWE at large speak.

Open a 2005 Bordeaux and let us know. I will open a few 2005 half bottles tonight and we'll begin.

On deck:
-Blanquito: 2005 Carbonnieux rouge, maybe du Tertre
-Ramon: Talbot
-Art: Carbonnieux rouge (?)

Based on the suggestions raised below, I propose both a general running 2005 thread starting now and a VLT in the near future on a commonly selected wine. Let's have some nominations!

Out with their corks!!!
Last edited by Blanquito on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: BWE VLT of 2005 Bordeaux: Occupy the Vintage of the Eon

Post by JimHow »

Gulp are you talking about tonight?

A VLT is in the chat room, no?

I've got a full day in court tomorrow I can't do it tonight!

Plus, VLTs are really only meaningful if everyone drinks the same wine, no?
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Jim, BWE is all about enablement. It is not about disablement. If a member of such longstanding calls for an immediate VLT, such cannot be refused.

I do not have any Carbonnieux, nor have I purchased any. They are at K&L, where I eye them occasionally while keeping the other eye on my burgeoning/bursting cellar.

I also seem to have rotated through most of my 05s in regular order, except for the GCD, which unfortunately is down in Salida. I'll see if there's something I've overlooked here.

I had envisioned though a scheduled VLT we could all, or most of us, participate in with a common, bellweather wine. The Talbot, or Branaire, or even say the Leo P. I could have in a week or ten days should we agree on a bellweather for the tasting.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

VLT?
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Virtual Live Tasting
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Criminal infanticide

What drugs are you guys on?

The 94s aren't even ready for Pete's sake.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

I see. Oh my. Problem for me is I don't have and can't get most of the wines being discussed, including: Talbot, Carbonnieux, LeoP, du Tertre. I own many labels, but none of those!!
Houndsong

Re: BWE Tasting of 2005 Bordeaux: Occupy the Vintage of the Eon

Post by Houndsong »

There's always been a well-established "scientific purposes" exception to the "criminal infanticide" prohibition. Conducting a bellweather tasting to shed light on whether the 2005s are "too tannic" (which is what the caution was, and perhaps still is, and not that they are merely "tannic" [after all, if the wines are "succulent" to quote one critic who is not Parker, and covered in tannin-smothering fruit, as it's fair to describe them, it's hard to see what difference it makes]) clearly meets this exception. Are you in or out, Herr Doctor?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, Hound. BWE has a long tradition as ground breakers. We cut the trails, not bring up the rear.
We are... BWE.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I have the 2005 Carbonnieux rouge open to slow-o for later tonight.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Patrick said start the thread now and do "a VLT in the near future on a commonly selected wine." The most-likely-to-be-ready '05 in my cellar is a d'Aiguilhe, and damn I'd pop it tonight but I'm still at work hobnobbing with my IT guy trying to resuscitate a server. If you guys do migrate to the chat room let me know when and I'll try to drop in to see what's developing.
mike reff

Post by mike reff »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Criminal infanticide

What drugs are you guys on?

The 94s aren't even ready for Pete's sake.

94's????? I am not even sure they WILL ever come around :lol:
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Houndsong wrote:There's always been a well-established "scientific purposes" exception to the "criminal infanticide" prohibition. Conducting a bellweather tasting to shed light on whether the 2005s are "too tannic" (which is what the caution was, and perhaps still is, and not that they are merely "tannic" [after all, if the wines are "succulent" to quote one critic who is not Parker, and covered in tannin-smothering fruit, as it's fair to describe them, it's hard to see what difference it makes]) clearly meets this exception. Are you in or out, Herr Doctor?
I'm in Maestro unless I missed it. Barring time zones. I have a second wine of Pauillac Latour 2005 to open which Latour does not admit is Latour.

On a serious note, and we have alluded to tis in previous discussions - back me up stefan - 5-6 years old is perhaps the worst time to drink serious Bordeaux. The wines are often at their most awkward.

Two or three months ago I drank two 2005s on the same night: Gloria and Cantermerle. They were just so awkward and gawky...totally unready, totally in the wrong place at the wrong time. Two very good wines it must be said, but they needed at least another five years of slumber.