TN: Trimbach, Jamet and Carbonnieux

Ramon_NYC

TN: Trimbach, Jamet and Carbonnieux

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I've had my share of wines, some good, ome bad, over the last week. Here are some of the good ones:

2000 Dom. Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling, Alsace
From a .375ml bottle, this is one with a very pronounced aroma of mineral, tropical fruit and diesel. Full-bodied, slightly more rich than either of 2001/2002 that I can recall at this point, and showing riper fruit, too. Unmistakably a Trimbach, the lemony core is enveloped by a nicely-defined dry structure that smooths out with air and which entices one to sip more. Can use more cellar aging time, though. B+

1995 Dom. JP and JL Jamet Cote Rotie, Ampuis (Rhone)
An expressive aromatics consisting of bacon, fresh meat and wood, was followed by a young-tasting, highly acidic and still tannic wallop that I got at first sip. Displaying elements of wildness and backwardness. I like the layers of moderate red fruit and slight vegetable notes that developed over dinner. This is quite a departure from other vintages in the same decade by Jamet where I experienced more smoothness and gentleness during recent samplings. If I may generalize, this has the feel of syrah from the Cornas side of the Rhone spectrum. I’ll wait a few more years before opening any more. Having said all that, this is actually is a good effort as far as my taste is concerned, and is a good French bistro food wine. A-

1996 Ch. Carbonnieux (Rouge), Pessac-Leognan (Bordeaux)
Plenty of Graves-like stuff on the very nice nose with herbs, cigar and wet leaves. Mineral amidst plumb black fruit with a nice touch of slight greenness. Very nice medium-bodied effort, and better than a ‘96 Smith-Haut-Lafitte that I had a month ago. A-
stefan

Re: TN: Trimbach, Jamet and Carbonnieux

Post by stefan »

Frederic Emile benefits a lot from aging 15-20 years. Unfortunately, it is subject to premox, so I am reluctant to hold them for their optimal drinking time.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

What, now Trimbach has premox?!? Thank goodness for Germany!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Unfortunately yes, Patrick.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Bill,

I liked the aged ones from the 80's that I've been able to taste from Trimbach's CFE line-up. I've stored away a few from vintages late-90s to mid-2000s, mostly with the intention of aging them. Any particular vintage(s) that are susceptible to premox?
stefan

Post by stefan »

I dunno how many vintages of CFE suffer, but I've had samples from '01 and '03.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I have also had premoxed 2001 Trimbach CFE. I think two out of five half bottles.

Chris Bublitz
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Ouch! I have a 6-pack o fthe 2001 CFE in my offsite.