Some great wines from Bx tasted recently....

greatbxfreak

Some great wines from Bx tasted recently....

Post by greatbxfreak »

Tasted in November this year:

Tertre Roteboeuf 1990 - it has been 11 years ago since I tasted it last time. On the occasion, it'd big and sparkling nose of black fruit (black berries), perfectly ripe one. Chewy and meaty on the palate with striking freshness, balance and caressing aftertaste. Striking depth and structure with plenty of perfectly ripe blackberries/blueberries on the palate. Awesome wine from Francois Mitjavile at its 21st year of life and sure bet to keep at least for additional 10-15 years. 96p.

VCC 1953, - wow what a nose!! It surpassed the one of T.Roteboeuf 1990 by a mile. Incredible intensity of truffles on the nose. Lot of truffles, fantastic balance, refinement and depth on the palate. Fantastic finish too. 58 years old wine and what a class act! Unforgetable one. 99p.

De Fargues 2003 from half bottle - powerful and intense on the nose with grilled/smoked aromas of nuts, mango, guava, honey melon and dried apricots. Opulent, strong and deep on the palate with fabulous sweetness and corresponding acidity. Great length on the palate and long honeyed aftertaste. However, this particular bottle (my contribution to tasting) was less impressive than normal bottle of same wine tasted in April this year. 95p.

Tasted 10 days ago during blind tasting:

I'd very interesting evening together with one of my friends. We tasted two wines blind , he brought one and I brought one. It turned to be a very interesting experience, as it was "conflict" of two styles.

My friend's wine - very parfumed cherry nose, captivating and fresh, young colour, modern style with some extraction of fruit, but pretty balanced wine with freshness, good acidity and fine smooth aftertaste. This parfumed cherry nose and young colour led me quickly to vintage 2004 and I was correct. It was Lascombes, maybe not the most typical Margaux wine. 90p.

When I opened my wine it started very light on the nose and palate and it'd a well-aged light red colour. Soon it started to gain everywhere and after one hour we had a beautifully scented wine with well-preserved cherry fruit, extremely well-balanced, great depth and length, lingering and soft aftertaste. Very precisely made wine in traditional Bordeaux way. My friend guessed my wine to be Right Bank wine in the beginning of 1970s - close. It was Corbin Michotte 1966, which I bought at the property in 2002. Stunning 45 years old wine with several more years to go. 94p.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
sdr

Re: Some great wines from Bx tasted recently....

Post by sdr »

Great notes, terrific demonstration of the enormous age ability of Bordeaux.

Stuart